i have never been able to get neat laq to apply the way i want it to. i thin it 50/50 with thinner and i try my best to do thin coats and let it dry in between...but i still have trouble with it flaking off. mainly in bends or or around the edges where i lace. so my question is how do all of yall get it to look so good!? what do you use to apply it with and how light is light. when i applied it it seemed like it just soaked it up like water? i have no idea what i am doing wrong so please help. thanks

leather lac is for veg leather only by that i mean tooling, saddle leather.it wont work on other leas latigo holds it but eventually flakes off.could be your dye isnt holding it ?on bends best wet n lock in yer bend b4 you lac as th bending will stretch n crack lea and or lac shouldn't but can.thinning has its place but full coat is better ,try makin lace holes b4 lac or vice versa .

I do not thin it, one thick, heavy coat and then quickly wipe it back off. Applied with a piece of sheepskin, then wiped back off with a second piece of dry sheepskin.

I do it like electrathon however, I do cut it about 3 part neat lac and 1 part thinner. I've never had any flake.

Chief

Cutting it with thinner can actually create the cracking effect because the thinner isn't meant to be used on leather in the first place, it is intended to be used as a cleaner. The Leather Lacquer is meant to be applied by either brush (if doing resists or protecting color elements) or with sheep's wool and once applied it needs to sit for at least 12 hours (preferably 24) to ensure that it has properly set and oxidized on the surface. And it is only intended for use on veg-tanned leather, nothing else.

thank you guys for the help. i will have to try that and see if it helps. so if i am using as a finish i can use it full strength and apply with sheep skin and then immediately? wipe off with another piece of sheepskin..or do i wait 30 secs or so? also is one coat good enough or should i apply two coats? and when using as a resist do i go about the same method except with a brush?

I wipe it on till I know I have coated everyplace, in the cracks and valleys. I then try to wipe away the excess, right away. I keep wiping till it starts to get sticky, then leave it alone. All of these steps happen pretty quickly.