loopinluke

Tooling The Seat

So I am hoping some of guys whose saddles I drool over every time you post pictures can help me out here. The problem I am having is this. I cut my seat out after I have cased it and drawn it down on the drawn down stand, and I thought I had been very careful not to cut too low on the fork. I think re-cased the seat, taped the back to help prevent stretch, and then tooled the seat. Now as I am getting ready to put the seat back on the saddle and draw down, I find that the front ears have stretched down, so that my cuts on the fork and very close to being too low. I think I am going to be able to save it, but things are VERY close. How do you folks that do this all the time prevent this from happening. I sure appreciate any help you are willing to give.

Lucas

Yeah, this is one area that I usually have to be very careful about too. The wetter the leather when you carve and stamp, particularly a geometric/basket stamp, the more distortion you'll get. It means you must really make sure when you do your fitting up that you spike it down good under or at the swells and tack the front jockey and ears. That way, once it is carved/stamped you have plenty of reference points to realign it with. There are always a few surprises up front and I just have to wrestle it back into shape.

It is also the reason I make sure to not put marks or tacks on the fork cover anywhere close to the edge of the seat. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.