Spinner

Handlebar Tool Bag

A new customer asked me to make a handlebar tool bag for her 2010 Honda VT1300CT but she didn't want the typical roll style tubular bag. She asked for something low profile but still capable of carrying a decent amount of stuff. As things progressed, we talked about doing my chaos tooling pattern on the flap, then that progressed to stingray inlay when she started talking about a gray & black color scheme. In the end I designed a wedge shaped bag that tapers both on the width and the thickness. Stingray inlay on the flap and the chaos tooling pattern on the body with matching tooling on the flap strap.

The outer body is 6oz. cowhide with 4oz goatskin lining on the inside of the flap. Gray Stingray from Ostrich Market (great service btw) for the inlay, kangaroo for the lacing. We also decided on lockable roller buckles for all three straps so she can lock the items in and lock the bag to the bike if desired. The inside of the bag is also lined with gray fabric and I carried the point that appears on the flap and front tooling to the inside where the goatskin & fabric meet.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

post-10543-046577300 1316808734_thumb.jppost-10543-042682500 1316808747_thumb.jppost-10543-061866300 1316808755_thumb.jp

Edited by Spinner

this is just beautiful...it would also make a great handbag or purse!!.....love the chaos tooling!!

this is just beautiful...it would also make a great handbag or purse!!.....love the chaos tooling!!

Thanks Roo! The purse idea was a common thought today as I showed it off at work. i may have to start making more with shoulder straps, doubling the price and calling them designer handbags...I'll be rich! LOL. On the Chaos tooling, in a round about way you actually inspired it. Way back when you did your display seat and turned me onto the pebbler tools; ever since then I have been playing with them developing a way to plan out a random looking pattern. It's now my second most requested tooling technique. ;)

Great looking work! Thank you for sharing.

Nice job Spinner !! Go for the purse ideal, after all your where the money is. All you need to do is sell one to a rich person / movie star and your set.

That is seriously cool! Great shape, colors, and construction. Nice job man.

Thanks guys, I'm already looking at ways to improve the design/speed up the construction to see if I can get a handful made before Christmas in both types...we'll see what happens. ;)

Got an email from a VERY happy client today, she sent some pictures of the bag mounted on the bike:

post-10543-063332000 1317160400_thumb.jp

post-10543-012402200 1317160402_thumb.jp

post-10543-091434100 1317160398_thumb.jp

Spinner,

Very nice!

Very Classy!

Totally cool.

:thumbsup:

Joel

Thanks Joel!

Very nice as always guy - love yer work - falling in love with the pebblers myself ;0) They do a great job of texturing/filling open space :0)

Really interesting design, and beautiful execution. The stingray looks fantastic!

A tool bag on a Honda? Wouldn't that be like tits on a boar hog? I could see it on a Harley, but on a Honda? Maybe she can use it for the registration paperwork. :lol:

Thanks McJeep & tatehunt!

A tool bag on a Honda? Wouldn't that be like tits on a boar hog? I could see it on a Harley, but on a Honda? Maybe she can use it for the registration paperwork. :lol:

Very true, not often a Honda breaks down, at least mine anyway. ;) That's just the name everyone knows them by, but she wanted it for her wallet, cell phone & house keys (and registration). :lol:

Thanks McJeep & tatehunt!

Very true, not often a Honda breaks down, at least mine anyway. ;) That's just the name everyone knows them by, but she wanted it for her wallet, cell phone & house keys (and registration). :lol:

--------------

Pros:

1. Looks amazing! I'm a huge fan of the colors & textures. Very classy.

2. Has quality appearance and is not typical of scooter bar/tool bags.

3. Wish I was up to your skill level.

Con:

(The only one)

As a motorcycle owner/rider, the only thing I noticed that I would prefer is for the guesses to be higher &

fold over the top of the opening (under the flap) to help keep out weather and/or dust & dirt to protect the contents inside - especially since the bag is on the front & will be the first in contact with weather & wind. That's the only thing I'd change if it was me. Nothing more. That would be in my specs as a customer and very easy to even add on by stitching a 3" flap on each side if wanted after production.

Again, very nice & very cool choice with colors & textures.

And Honda motorcycles - bullet-proof. [Honda VTX 1300 Retro dressed].

Of all the Harleys made, 80% are still out on the road ... because only 20% ever made it back home. :)

(just a joke between me & my HD buddies I ride with)

Con:

(The only one)

As a motorcycle owner/rider, the only thing I noticed that I would prefer is for the guesses to be higher &

fold over the top of the opening (under the flap) to help keep out weather and/or dust & dirt to protect the contents inside - especially since the bag is on the front & will be the first in contact with weather & wind. That's the only thing I'd change if it was me. Nothing more. That would be in my specs as a customer and very easy to even add on by stitching a 3" flap on each side if wanted after production.

Thanks for the comments!

Actually if you look closely at the third picture I did include this in the design only in a more weather-resistant style. The gussets were made to be the same shape as the inside curve of the flap when closed and fit inside the lacing when the flap is down.

Being 6oz thick and inverted on a curved profile, they don't bend or move and very little can get it at all. If I had done flaps instead, combined with the fact that it sits at a slight upward angle on the bars, the flaps would have provided less protection and actually could have created a wind tunnel effect.

I like the traditional designs but sometimes they aren't the best solution.

;)

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the comments!

Actually if you look closely at the third picture I did include this in the design only in a more weather-resistant style. The gussets were made to be the same shape as the inside curve of the flap when closed and fit inside the lacing when the flap is down.

Being 6oz thick and inverted on a curved profile, they don't bend or move and very little can get it at all. If I had done flaps instead, combined with the fact that it sits at a slight upward angle on the bars, the flaps would have provided less protection and actually could have created a wind tunnel effect.

I like the traditional designs but sometimes they aren't the best solution.

;)

Cheers

Chris

Indeed, the 3rd photo does show that feature. I stand corrected and further impressed.

I could blame it on the fact that I viewed the photo on my phone, the background doesn't contrast enough with the subject, or the fact that I'm used to seeing gawking/huge weather flaps on typical motorcycle products.

The fact is that this feature was done with such skill & integrated so well into the design that it was not a focal point.

I withdraw my previous 'Con' and add an additional 'Pro' for incorporating the functioning weather flap feature in an astethically pleasing manner of purposeful design.

... Excellent work, Chris.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: