Curbstrap2

Looking for ways to minimize moisture in my tack storage area?

Can you offer suggestions on ways to minimize moisture in my tack storage area?

I keep my tack at home as the barn I board at has limited space. The rest of my unused tack (5 saddles and assorted headstalls/reins/breast collars etc) are stored in my finished basement.

My basement is dry, but my tack always seems cool/dampish to the touch.

I know most of you will probably say, buy a dehumidifier, but that's not something I can do right now.

I have my saddles covered over with cotton sheets to keep any dust and dirt off and hopefully absorb moisture.

I try to wash and dry the sheets on a regular basis so that they are as clean as possible.

Now with the spring rains, everything down there seems damper than usual.

Any thoughts on this? I just don't have anywhere else to put them.

Edited by Curbstrap2

Covering your tack may be part of the problem. By covering it, you're restricting airflow and setting up stagnant conditions. Though it's a finished basement, it's below ground level and "underground" is almost always cooler than 'above ground'. If there's no air handling system down there, you might try setting a fan at the door to the basement. That should help move the humidity about some, and hopefully help with the problems.

Covering your tack may be part of the problem. By covering it, you're restricting airflow and setting up stagnant conditions. Though it's a finished basement, it's below ground level and "underground" is almost always cooler than 'above ground'. If there's no air handling system down there, you might try setting a fan at the door to the basement. That should help move the humidity about some, and hopefully help with the problems.

So you think I should leave them uncovered altogether? :unsure:

Store them with toilet rolls. The rolls absorb moisture. Off topic but do the same with your fridges that are being moved or in storage and turned off for any lenght of time. Chuck in a few toilet rolls.

Barra

I agree about keeping the sheets off. Also, if it's not a huge area just keeping a light on can make a difference. Chris

Along with air circulation there are also cans of stuff, like the little packets in shoe boxes, it is some type silicate, whose name escapes me at the moment, that absorbs moisture. Perhaps a can or two set in the room? Hardware store probably has them for a reasonable price.

I agree, uncover them and go buy some sort of dessicant and place it near the tack.( beware dont let kids or animals near the dessicant eating would cause severe problems.)

For a cheap dessicant, I believe you could use regular ol' cheap charcoal, bagged or not.

I mention it because here on the gulf coast, if we don't really seal charcoal in a bag....well, it's not usable for very long.

Besides running a small fan which might be cheaper to operate than a light bulb, it sometimes helps to hang the saddles shoulder height as well with a few feet between each one.

Were i put a real wool blanket, i get NO mildou (white stuff)

It absorb moisture.

So a heavy wool blanker over the saddle help for me. But it can affect the fender near the ground if i forget to wrap them close to the wool.

I guess hang stuff quite high from the ground (over a meter) will help too. But that for an outside shed, not a basement.

I had the same problem! My grandpa used to do this, and it REALLY helps......

Buy a few bags of salt, open the tops and set them on the tack room floor. Then place a floor-standing fan in the room (leave on oscillating). The salt helps to draw the moisture out of the air, and the fan keeps the air circulating.

My tack room holds about 9 saddles plus a large amount of tack. A large fan running 24/7 meant mildew was not an issue. An unusually wet summer cause many people to ahve a huge problem with mildew. It seemed no matter where it was stored it was attacked.