cmantz

Custom Embroidered Bronc Halters

I have been in the embroidery business for many years. My daughter is an avid barrel racer and I would like to try to make some custom embroidered bronc halters for her but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help with information such as:

what type of cowhide to buy?

best place to buy cowhide wholesale?

what type of leather to layer on the back of the cowhide?

general tips on construction?

Any information or guidance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Identity Elements

Jackson, MO

Do you plan on machine embroidering these? If so make sure your design isn't too dense or the embroidery will just pull off like a patch... that is unless you use a good stabilizer. (Which I'm sure you know) I would use upholstery weight leather... embroider then use a heavy stitcher or hand stitch it to the body of the halter. For you I would buy predyed leather... doesn't really matter if it is chrome or veg dyed.

A lot of people here adore Springfield Leather and I've heard good things about them. I would call and talk to them for suggestions too.

Thank you Sylvia for your response. I did find Springfield Leather...and I can see why people adore them! SUPER helpful. I have some hair-on cowhide coming my way, along with some horse leather blanks to use for the backing. Once I tackle the embroidery, then I will figure out how to sew them together :) There is a boot repair place here locally that I think will sew them for me.

I have a small home embroidery machine, I've been tempted to embroider some inserts to trap between layers of leather. If you really want to get into this contact Cobra Steve @ Leathermachineco.com and ask him about a Cobra Machine or a used one that will work for you. He's also very helpful and will work with you and take good care of ya. Paying a local guy to sew could get you by for a while but it will also increase your cost of goods sold. Just something to think about. ;)

update...I embroidered the hair-on cowhide, attached my spots, glued to the leather blank and hand sewed around. Doesn't look too bad for my first time out.

I am going to play around with lasering the leather blanks. This way, I can laser cut the shape and even have the laser cut out my sewing holes :) I am also going to laser some personalized designs. I played a little with stamping.....not sure if I have the patience. If I do some lasered nosebands, I do need to figure out how to finish the leather when I am done. oh, and burnish the edges.

Look at the post by Bob Parks on finishing edges. Best I have found so far. I believe it is in " how do I do that section" but there are great tutorials on that and finishes there.

David

Pictures of my finished projects.

freckles

tanzi

What kind of stabilizer did you use? The sticky back stuff? How heavy... inquiring minds want to know. Also did you have any troubles with the leather flapping in the machine... causing loops on top?

I hooped a piece of cutaway backing (I usually use the 3 oz). Then I used spray adhesive to stick my hide on top...and covered with a piece of solvy (to help the stitches stay on top). I just increased the underlay on the letters and added just a little pull compensation. I might have increased my density of the top layer of thread just a little bit...not much....the key is to increase the underlay!!

I am also playing with laser engraving the leather...here is my first lasered noseband.

flickerwood

This is exactly what I want to do cmantz! I realize this is an old post, but are you still embroidering on leather? Any tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated. I already own a commercial Tajima embroidery machine, so I am not looking to get into stamping. I would like to start making personalized gear for our ranch and I already put out the money for one big machine! Did you just leave the edges raw or are they turned under? Your work is lovely!