Latest little project, a simple phone sheath for my Android phone.

5-6 oz leather.

Fiebings Pro Mahogony oil

Buffed then Buffed again with Zack's leather balm

Glued up, holes punched with stitching iron, stitched with black waxed thread.

Edges burnished with beeswax and slicker. Edge Coat painted on, more slicking.

Resolene 50/50 light coat

If this were going to a friend/customer would that be it? Or should it get one final treatment before it goes out?

Any thought or critiques welcome.

post-37502-0-32146800-1391636042_thumb.j

This is really nice! What kind of leather did you use and what is Resolene for? (sorry, new!)

Thanks!

No worries very new too....

It is veg tan leather, 4 to 5 oz. I followed the YouTube video Nigel Armitage has up on making the iPhone slip just used different dimensions for my phone....

Resolene gives the leather protection against water, it is an acrylic so it basically fills in the pores. Lots of great discussions here about the use of it! I followed the advice and cut it in half with water for a light coat....

Excited I've got my first order request for another slip for a friend lol...she loved mine she wants one for her iPhone 5

It looks very good. I might try to make my first this week. For my Motorola Max hd

It looks very good. I might try to make my first this week. For my Motorola Max hd

Thanks!

I've learned a lot about sizing!

The Fiebing Mahogany is a beautiful color....

That is a very professional look, the lines are simple and clean. I can see why you quickly got an order. It is a great piece!!!

Wow thanks! I just finished up the iPhone case will post it up here shortly. Lots of fun!

Looks great! I think I will have to purchase this mahogany color. How do you like zack's leather balm? I have never tried it. I also think I need to look into airbrushing. I saw your more recent post of the other case, I love the aged look to it. Keep it up!

Well I am still rather new (less than I year) so don't have much to compare with the Leather Balm (Zack's called and substituted it because they were out of the Feibings Carnuaba Cream). I use it over the dye IF I haven't done any tooling. Anything that gets tooled gets oiled after the tooling before the dye, at least that is what I am doing based on my readings and well it's working so far. The Cream makes the leather feel amazing. It does seem to darken the leather a smidge, just barely, so I tend to stop the dye layers one short of where I think I want to go.

I do use Resolene after thru the airbrush as well. Fine mist you can't even tell it is on there after you are done. Couple of passes, 24 hour wait to cure and one more set of passes and I'm ready to buff then I'm done. You can't beat an airbrush for putting on thin coats!

Like anything, play around with the combinations on scrap pieces see what you like!