Hi all!

I had a little free time yesterday so I made a knife sheath for my Nephew's Harbor Freight survival knife. He really enjoys the outdoors and is just starting to go hunting and fishing with his Dad.

As an afterthought I added a small piece of Stingray to the project. I cheated and cut everything out on the laser in about 5 minutes. (short on time as usual). Cutting Stingray on the laser is like cutting warm butter with a hot knife!

The Small piece of stingray is probably worth more than the whole knife! But I know that he will like it. Thought I'd share it with my friends on LW, Thanks for looking!

Stitch~

BRL

post-25445-029617700 1344669489_thumb.jp

post-25445-042976400 1344669506_thumb.jp

post-25445-071100700 1344669526_thumb.jp

post-25445-057514500 1344669538_thumb.jp

Hey stitch, good to see you. I didn't know you could buy lasers. Beautiful job. Can you tell me where you got the laser, etc.? Thanks, Cheryl

Hi all!

I had a little free time yesterday so I made a knife sheath for my Nephew's Harbor Freight survival knife. He really enjoys the outdoors and is just starting to go hunting and fishing with his Dad.

As an afterthought I added a small piece of Stingray to the project. I cheated and cut everything out on the laser in about 5 minutes. (short on time as usual). Cutting Stingray on the laser is like cutting warm butter with a hot knife!

The Small piece of stingray is probably worth more than the whole knife! But I know that he will like it. Thought I'd share it with my friends on LW, Thanks for looking!

Stitch~

BRL

Great looking sheath. Excellent work.

Ken

Hey Thanks Cheryl!

Our laser started off as a used 60 watt 900mm x 600mm laser. After Jerry gutted & then upgraded it, it now sports 100 watts of power, a servo drive system and a huge chiller unit. Plus a few other tricks he added. Replacement cost would be over 30k including support equipment after all of the improvements. The software is in a price league all it's own! The servo drive system is a must if you want real precision and speed. There are a lot of company's selling cnc lasers out there. Be carefull what you buy though. Some import units have importation, service and support issues.

Do a lot of research before you buy!

Thanks!

Stitch~

Hey stitch, good to see you. I didn't know you could buy lasers. Beautiful job. Can you tell me where you got the laser, etc.? Thanks, Cheryl

LOL. At 30K I won't be buying, uh, er, like ever. But thanks, Cheryl

Just a note,I don't mean to scare you, but make sure your ventilation system is working really well. The particulate from cutting the bumps on the pelts could be very dangerous when inhaled. I'm not sure, but I believe there is some calcium content in the bumps and if so, this could destroy your lungs.

Just a note,I don't mean to scare you, but make sure your ventilation system is working really well. The particulate from cutting the bumps on the pelts could be very dangerous when inhaled. I'm not sure, but I believe there is some calcium content in the bumps and if so, this could destroy your lungs.

Good point Mokosh! 16.gif We have a state of the art ventilation system that cleans and exhaust's all fumes from our machine. Plus, the laser vaporizes the materials it cuts so there are no airborne particulates like in grinding, sanding or machining. Wherever the beam travels, the material simply doesn't exist anymore! And the ventilation system takes care of the rest.

Thanks!

Stitch~

Cool sheath!

What thickness of leather will 100 watts cut, Stitch?

Thanks,

Jake

Cool sheath!

What thickness of leather will 100 watts cut, Stitch?

Thanks,

Jake

Hey thanks Jake! Any thickness! but I try to limit cutting thickness to 1/4" to keep the sides straight. It cuts in an upside down cone shape (verry small) but the bottom will cut out slightly smaller at that thickness.

This is an old post, but I have a 40 watt laser and stingray. What settings do you recommend and do you cut it from the front?