Slicknick

So Leather Cuffs Are Kind Of My Thing!

Hey guys, I've mainly made a series of leather cuffs and bracelets, as well as a few sheathes. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me what y'all think, and what I could do better.

This is personally one of my favorites, and I wish I had better photos of it, photo courtesy of Takara Rose Photography, however.

3e22dac9f523abb119f965595a6b86ae.png

and here's another cuff that I made

cd2c821a4ef4f7926dd90359b4a303fd.png

c98042fb078eee865bc33ad357cbec2a.png

f22334affd4ca7b4cf0599e714a7d140.png

and one of the recent sheathes I made, I posted a thread about the boot knife earlier this week, and got around to making it!

3431a7ead3ed573c95e587234e7e8333.png

They all look fine

Your edge detail is something that could improve so that there are no fuzzies on the leather, especially the three little straps on the buckle wrist band.

There are tons of threads on here about techniques for burnishing and finishing edges

The stitching on the knife sheath is a bit uneven with visible knots?? Again lots if stuff here to give some direction on stitching

The best thing you did was design it yourself, put pictures up and ask for opinions.....this will take your work from good to great!

Edited by WScott

Thanks WScott! Yeah, that's what I figured, I mean I won't get better unless I get feedback on what needs to be improved. Yeah, looking back, I can definitely see that my edge detailing needs a bit of work, I think it comes down to needing more practice as well, but yeah! I appreciate the feedback guys :) As for the stitching, I've just gotten a few stitching guides as well, so that should improve, too.

Wonderful, That's how we learn. Constructive criticism is key. Others see what we overlook. Keep up the good work

Edited by wlg190861

When burnishing leather that thin, apply water sparingly on the edge. Experience shows that wet leather with pressure applied tends to deform leather:). That edge calls for a pulley shaped burnisher.

This is a good stitching topic and video

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44874&hl=

Best stitching book ever

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392583347&sr=1-1&keywords=al+stohlman

Here is an edging topic

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101&hl=

Let me know what else can help to get you going.

There are so many ways to do things and you need to find what works in your hands

with materials and tools that are readily available to you. You don't have to spend a fortune on exotic tools, leather, thread etc to get good results.

Cheers, Scott