PeterB

Paint Boots From Brown To Blue?

I need to paint my daughter's boots to match her electric blue show chaps. Any suggestions on treating and preparing boots to take paint better, and which paints are recommended. The boots are a medium brown Anderson Beans, was intending to mask off the soles and use some sort of spray paint. I am not expecting perfection and heavy use, she'll just be wearing during horse shows when her chaps are on.

Thanks for the help & suggestions-

I need to paint my daughter's boots to match her electric blue show chaps. Any suggestions on treating and preparing boots to take paint better, and which paints are recommended. The boots are a medium brown Anderson Beans, was intending to mask off the soles and use some sort of spray paint. I am not expecting perfection and heavy use, she'll just be wearing during horse shows when her chaps are on.

You'll need to get the finish off first. Use Angelus or Fiebings deglazer to do that then use a leather acrylic paint. Angelus has some great colors and it's flexible so it shouldn't do any cracking and flaking.

There are some tutorials at Dharma Trading Company on how to paint shoes. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/10144517-AA.shtml

Yo Peter! Did I just read this right that you asked for advice, but you already planned to 'mask' off the soles, and SPRAY paint them? What, your daughter wear a rusted out car on her feet?

I'm just kidding, if they aren't worth any effort, spray 'em with walmart's dollar specials. I think I've having entirely too much fun on my end laughing hysterically, so will leave you in peace now. Cheryl

Good suggestions all around.

I'd just add to work and many light coats, allowing lots of time to dry between each.

An appliquation of conditioner will help to get a good job to last a whole season for her.

Have fun.

Peter, you might check at a shoe repair shop if theirs one close for the spay cans of color. I'm not sure what the name of it is but i know the shoe shop here uses it to change the color on shoes. The cans look like their about half the size of a spay paint can.

Can the Angelus paints be applied with airbrush or prevail units? Was just wondering if brush strokes would show... thanks!

Depends on your airbrush. the Angelus paints can be atomized with the right tip but most would dilute it to the consistency of milk and spray thin coats.

Edited by Sylvia