Koadogg

Gluing Leather to a Guitar Speaker Cabinet?

I mess around with making guitars, amps and Speaker Cabinets for myself, and I stumbled upon a guitar Speaker Cabinet that was covered in a Hornback Alligator embossed leather that I just had to have. Buying one is not an option since it would cost close to $2000, so the next best thing would be to build my own. I located some cool Hornback Alligator embossed leather that is soft and is just awesome for my project. I am getting ready to construct the cabinet but decideded to get a head start on understanding what I need to do for the leather part. Let me just prefice that I have never worked with leather before, so please ignore the simplicity of my questions. I tried to due a search on this site but could not find anything, so here goes!

What kind of glue do I need to glue this leather to the speaker cabinet permanently?

Where would I find this glue in a sufficient quantity since I have a lot of surface area to cover?

Since the cabinet is rather large and the leather will need to be butt jointed, is there anything special to do at a butt joint to ensure that it doesn't lift at the seam?

I included a sample of picture of what I want to accomplish. I appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks,

Scott

mesa_roadking_11.jpg

post-9718-1236476771_thumb.jpg

I make handles for an Amp company, and watch them cover the boxes. The tricky part is the cuts, but everything else is straight forward. Contact cement, sprayed on the box, and the material, a linoleum type roller to squeeze any bubbles or crinks...

The cement can come from any home depot/lowes/hardware co. Spraying is more even, but smooth hand application will work just fine too.

The cuts are made like a rug installer would do. Overlap the material and cut throught the two layers at the same time...it makes for an almost invisible seam. Butt joints are usually not just butted, rather a piping will lay on top of the joint.

Hope that helps

I've done a few cabinets with vinyl Tolex and all but I figured that working with the leather might be a little different. I wont be using cabinet string like the older Marshall's, therefore I will have to do a few butt joints.

So regular contact cement that I can purchase at the local Lowes/Home Depot will be sufficient to gluing this leather down to the cabinet?

Will a regular razor blade knife be sufficient for cutting the leather and getting a good seam?

Thanks,

Scott