Lobo

A little extra profit

Received an order a couple of weeks back from a prior customer who needs four more holsters. Always glad to hear from folks like that!

Mr. Customer also had an idea in mind for a magazine pouch to fit into his back pocket. The parameters were: 1. to fit two 8-round mags for a 1911 .45 cal. pistol; 2. to be completely inside the pocket with no protrusion; (3) profiled to minimize printing on the outside of the holster (to give the appearance of a wallet).

I tried several paper patterns, which I shared with the customer. My first concerns were (a) stitching to index the mags for constant positioning in the pocket; (B) number of stitch lines, which increases overall dimensions due to the folding of the leather necessary at each stitch line; © protecting the pocket material from abrasion, and the skin for sharp mag edges; (d) making the finished piece so that a single mag can be withdrawn without pulling the pouch from the pocket with it.

After several attempts, I came up with a pouch he liked. Using 4-5 oz. veg-tanned leather, I looped the outer edges in to a single stitch line (rather than two or three, depending upon how the edges were designed). The lighter leather is sufficiently strong for the task and will give good protection to the pocket and skin. I left the rough side out to add friction within the pocket, and the smooth side allows the mags to slide in and out much more easily.

Total finished dimensions are 4.25 inches width, 5.75 inches high. Dropped right into the back pocket of my jeans and Dockers.

Mr. Customer is very happy with it, and has now ordered a couple more for his other magazines.

Materials: about 0.5 sq. ft. 4-5 oz. veg tanned leather.

Time to cut, sew and form: 10 minutes.

Finish required: a couple of coats of Bag Kote to seal the exterior (not done in the photos).

Adding another product to my production line now. I think that I can do a dozen or more per hour when working with multiples in production. Retail price? $25.

Mr. Customer gets the first one for free!

P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG

post-7487-1234813332_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1234813343_thumb.jpg

Neat design. Thanks for sharing Lobo.

Dan

Thank you, my friends. What works for me this week might work for you next week. I look forward to seeing what works for you!