dakotawolf

First Post, 7Th Holster (Glock 42 .380Acp)

Hi, this is my first post. I have been lurking here for quite a few months. I have literally read almost all of the holster posts in this forum. I also have been reading books on leather working. I had read, but didn't fully understand what people had written about this being an addicting hobby. Then, after I finally bought some tools and leather, I began to understand. Now I'm totally hooked.

The holster I decided to use for my introductory post is actually my seventh attempt at making a holster. The gun is a Glock 42, the new (in Jan 2014) single stack .380 acp. I have made holsters for larger pistols, but I think this one was more challenging. The layout proved to kind of like a rubix cube. I wanted to make sure I left enough room for a full grip, but yet still be able to cover as much of the trigger guard as possible. I wanted the belt line to run across the trigger guard area for balance, bet there is not much room on this gun to pick and choose placement. I also noticed that I couldn't bone any indentation in the trigger guard. I suspect this is due to tight stitch lines to begin with, and a minimal amount of overall leather which to stretch. The holster rides with a forward cant. If you visualise the rear belt loop at vertical, you'll get an idea of the cant.

I am hoping for honest critiques. I have read enough posts to know that whatever you guys say will be constructive. I have a thick skin. I really am trying to get good at this; I am hoping to sell a few and make my hobby self supporting.

Thanks for looking!

Dakotawolf, Very nice piece, indeed. You already identified your mis-step with the stitching around the trigger-guard, and I believe a little to much slack in the stitching,under the trigger-guard alongside the slide. Tighten that up a bit. Also, I would bring the belt-loop inward a tad more to give a little more "meat" to that area. JMHO. But all-in-all, nice, no doubt. Semper-fi Mike

Dakotawolf,

That's a nice, clean little holster. Your own comments along with Marine MP's above noted everything I saw. Good job!

Josh

I think you did well at leaving enough room to finger the grip on the draw. I understand how hard it can be to design for these small pistols. Try doing something even smaller like a KelTec P32 or a Ruger LCP...sheesh those things are tiny. The only complaint on the design that I have is more of a personal preference when carrying. I like to have a rear guard that comes all the way to the top of the pistol. I don't like cold metal randomly touching my skin as I move. Some folks have no problem with a short rear guard. Then again some folks don't mind 1/2 their gun hanging out in a bikini holster either where I prefer to keep my expensive shooter covered in as much leather as possible. It's all personal preference and I thought I'd pass mine along for input.

One more thing, and not really a problem, is that since this is made for a specific model I would work out some more of the shape of the pistol like between the muzzle and the trigger guard. You went as far as doing the ejection port and that nice line along the slide then it looks like you gave up. You had a good thing going but I feel it needs a little more follow through on the rest. I'm not saying to go overboard and cover every little line and pin as if you stamped the gun into the leather, just a little more conformed if that makes sense. When I see a holster without that conformed shape, I think it's just another one-size-fits-all off the shelf Uncle Mikes or insert generic brand name here. It just doesn't jump out at me as a custom which is what most of us strive to produce. Again, not a problem but rather the way I look at things. Maybe you wanted it exactly the way it is and if so, great.

Taking into account what you and others noted, very good job.

You done good. I'd be very proud of that. A couple of minor areas to look at.

I'd consider reinforcing the stitching around the belt slot on the back. That gets a lot of stress and and an extra line of stitching helps ensure long life. You also might make a small. arc-shaped cut in the leather for stress relief, at the point where the top leading edge of the belt slot is stitched.

I'd try to get more coverage of the trigger guard area. Make the reinforcing strap at the top of the holster a little longer so that it wraps another half-inch around the pistol. Push the pistol a little deeper into the holster, and change the profile of the holster from the edge of the reinforcing strap to the top of the belt slot and you've got it.

Take look at the angles in the attached photos. You still get a proper grip, but the trigger guard is completely covered -- and this is with an even smaller pistol. professional-1.png

Edited by malabar

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm going to be making another one for a guy on the local PD. I'll incorporate many of your suggestions and post the pic. Thank you again, I truly appreciate you taking the time post responses!

I made some revisions to my design. Let me know what you think.

Glock 425 3

Glock 424 3

Glock 423 3

Glock 422 2

Glock 421 1

When I was managing the pics in my gallery I deleted the two photos on the first post in this thread. I have added them below. On the new holster (not these) I loosened the stich line on the trigger guard. This allowed me to mold a little more detail inside the trigger guard. The one in the photo below was stretched tight like a drum; I pushed and pushed but it did no good. I also covered the trigger guard more on the newer version as well as moved the stich line in closer on the dust cover area. I made the trailing wing about 1/8 of an inch longer. The lower edge of the belt slot still got a little closer to the edge than I had intended. I used a drill press (1/4 bit) and a razor to cut the belt slots. I'm not happy with them. I think I wanna try making the EMT electrical conduit belt slot punch. As far as the holster functions, it's perfect. You can vigoursly shake the gun upside down and it don't even wiggle, but the draw is not too tough (little more resistance than a Fobus holster if that helps). I'll be happy to deliver it today and collect my $30.

post-46186-0-12203600-1395421446_thumb.j

post-46186-0-89549800-1395421502_thumb.j

Edited by dakotawolf