Fosgate

Starting Back Up And Bringing My Daughter With This Time

My brief history in leathercraft entails a year in Jr. high back in the mid 80's. Worked a couple small projects in shop class and I had an early draw to leather craft. I made my father a wallet that lasted him 15years and my mother still has the checkbook I made her. Anyway, I think part of the reason I got out of it was partially cost but also all I ever knew was the Tandy shop nearby and the patterns seemed repetitive and I sucked at freehand. So the kit went into storage but I never tossed it through all my moves.

Going through my memorabilia and stumbled across my kit with my daughter showed interest. That was about a year ago. About a month ago I went to a local gun show and a guy was selling handmade wallets. Nothing special, no tooling, the stain had pretty bad runs and it stains all my cards orange. Granted it will last and I have grown tire of breaking money clips and wallets not lasting more than a year maybe. I'm thinking to myself this guy claims he has 60+ hours into it and I thought for the $45 price tag I could do way better for the same money.

Getting back into leathercraft reached it's point a couple weeks ago as we were trying to figure out what my daughter is going to do with herself, other than work, while her boyfriend goes off the Basic Training for the Army. She's a talented artist and has a few paintings on display in a nearby museum and she tries everything art including pottery and welding. The wallet episode turned the light bulb on as I thought, maybe she can find a niche in leathercraft. If not it is another art she can learn that she may be able to apply to other forms of her art. I instantly went online and bought the Tandy Deluxe kit as it was on sale and added it with my own stuff. I had her watch all the videos on the Tandy site and also on Youtube that might be of interest to her. She is exited about being able to make guitar straps, purses, bags, wallets etc. Today I made the bargain that when she finishes the rest of the videos to decide on direction I would give her $200 more toward tools for the direction she wants to take it.

Would anyone have any good recommendations to find info and instructions on building items from scratch such as bags, shoes, etc?

Edited by Fosgate

The Art Of Making Leather Cases by Al Stohlman. It's a 3 book series that take you from basic things like belt pouches all the way up to golf bags. Work a couple of those projects, and she should be able to figure out how to make anything. Some of the projects, and many of the art styles are out of date, but it sounds like your daughter can handle that part.

Edited by Glendon

You sound a lot like me, except my "jr high" was in the 70s.

I would slow down a bit though. You need some practice time before you tackle those projects so go back to Tandy and get a couple bags of scrap pieces and start by practicing with your swivel knife,... and beveling. Practicing on scrape takes some of the stress away. If you "practice" on a project... and screw it up. It's done. If you practice on scrap and screw it up... no worries... use it to test dye colors out, then toss it.

I did something similar to what plan on doing... and I worked on a purse kit, right off. It was so stinking bad that I wanted to throw it away...but my hubby sent it to his sister.

:head_hurts_kr:

. If you practice on scrap and screw it up... no worries... use it to test dye colors out, then toss it.

I did something similar to what plan on doing... and I worked on a purse kit, right off. It was so stinking bad that I wanted to throw it away...but my hubby sent it to his sister.

:head_hurts_kr:

This always amazes me. Letting someone have your mistakes is a huge mistake. To that person, it is your best work.

This always amazes me. Letting someone have your mistakes is a huge mistake. To that person, it is your best work.

Well, she knows I can do better than that... but he gave it to her because it was purple... her favorite color. (she probably threw it away) lol

But that's the point... practice on scrap and when you feel your skills are adequate and you are comfortable with the tools, then try a kit.

I suppose one could just say... "I screwed this up... JUST for you!!" LOL!

Syl

Yes, we are on the same page. My point is to never give away (or sell) mistakes. A guy I know constantly tells everyone that, "No one will notice but you". It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I feel that everyone will notice, they will just be to polite to tell you, "You do poop work". The worst work you do is your reputation, it is your personal level of quality.

I bought 2 bags of scrap that was shipped with the kit. Lots of goofed wallet strips where the stitching was not quite right on them etc. Great practice pieces though. Figured I would have her practice from the 5 templates I have for wallets and checkbooks until I feel she can make a nice piece on one of the kits we have. Then once she moves onto the kits We will take measurements of some of what comes in them and let her try duplicating the cuts and creating her own. Also at this time have her practice creating and transferring her own pieces on scrap and once confident transfer t her newly created pieces. From there I planned on letting her tackle another project of her choice, guitar strap, handbag, shoe etc.

I bought 2 bags of scrap that was shipped with the kit. Lots of goofed wallet strips where the stitching was not quite right on them etc. Great practice pieces though. Figured I would have her practice from the 5 templates I have for wallets and checkbooks until I feel she can make a nice piece on one of the kits we have. Then once she moves onto the kits We will take measurements of some of what comes in them and let her try duplicating the cuts and creating her own. Also at this time have her practice creating and transferring her own pieces on scrap and once confident transfer t her newly created pieces. From there I planned on letting her tackle another project of her choice, guitar strap, handbag, shoe etc.

No offense intended but since she is married she is old enough to figure out how she wants to learn. Give her the stuff and sit down beside her and you do something. Let her see you doing it. If she wants to do a kit before you think she is ready its ok. We all screwed things up early. When I got back into leather the first thing I did was make a business card holder. It sucked but it was something I could hold and use. It made me want to do better and more. If all I had done was practice on scraps I would have gotten bored and quit. Its only my opinion but just let her go and see what happens. Be there if she asks for help but let go of the reins. She will probably surprise you.

remember its only dead cow. you can always get more.

Again, only my opinion. You do what and how you want.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

No offense intended but since she is married she is old enough to figure out how she wants to learn. Give her the stuff and sit down beside her and you do something. Let her see you doing it. If she wants to do a kit before you think she is ready its ok. We all screwed things up early. When I got back into leather the first thing I did was make a business card holder. It sucked but it was something I could hold and use. It made me want to do better and more. If all I had done was practice on scraps I would have gotten bored and quit. Its only my opinion but just let her go and see what happens. Be there if she asks for help but let go of the reins. She will probably surprise you.

remember its only dead cow. you can always get more.

Again, only my opinion. You do what and how you want.

Michael

Whooa! lets not get ahead of ourselves. She's not married, she's going to be a senior in high school in the fall and her boyfriend is also, he's just taking his Army basic training for the national guard this summer. Decent kid but he doesn't have dads approval or blessing yet. :spoton:

Whooa! lets not get ahead of ourselves. She's not married, she's going to be a senior in high school in the fall and her boyfriend is also, he's just taking his Army basic training for the national guard this summer. Decent kid but he doesn't have dads approval or blessing yet. :spoton:

See, thats what I get for not paying attention. I am sorry for my misunderstanding. forget about 95% of what I said. I still believe that making something useful early on can help fire up the desire to practice.

Again my apologies.

Check with LeatherUnlimited. (www.leatherunltd.com/)

They have really good deals on scrap pieces. Also, they have lots of fairly good (foreign-tanned) veg-tan in lots of different weights for reasonable prices. It ain't Hermann Oak, and some of it is pretty rough, but that will teach her how to select from various parts of the hide. Occasionally, they have really good specials. Their shipping is VERY fair, too. Lots better than T---y! And, some of it is really good. They will work with you on selection; really nic folks, too.

(No, I am not an employee/partner........)

CAMPCHAIR

See, thats what I get for not paying attention. I am sorry for my misunderstanding. forget about 95% of what I said. I still believe that making something useful early on can help fire up the desire to practice.

Again my apologies.

No worries! ;)