Ian1783

Servo Motors Selections – Making The Right Choice

I've decided that a servo motor on my Consew 206 is the way to go. My clutch motor's pulley is about as small as can be found for this machine, so I don't have that as an option for better control. I do want the manners of a domestic machine, as both my wife and I are used to that, and we won't have the serious workload that might garner us the experience needed for the best control of a clutch motor in any short order.

So, where does that leave me? I see servo motors on eBay in the $125 range (including free shipping), but the choices are many, and I'm unsure of what would work best for me. Price does matter. I would think horsepower will also matter: 1/3, 1/2, 3/4? We will be working garment and furniture leather (1 oz, 2 oz?) into assorted items in the way of bags, wallets, etc. Not that we know what we're getting into; simple, fun stuff to augment our offerings at craft fairs and farmer's markets.

Our machine was priced right for complete beginners – $200 for a Consew 206RB-3; the leather is free as remnants from a furniture-design house; our goals are modest (this is more in the hobby range at this time, though would love to make a little scratch).

So – an inexpensive, but well-regarded servo motor that's been used by some on this forum, who might have a suggestion or two about the direction I might go.

Of course, I'd still have the clutch motor for future use, if that's how things shake out.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Do not try to be a pioneer. The definition is..people with arrows in there backs.. But, buy a Servo from one of the dealers here on the forum. They stand behind, to the side, and in front of the machines. You also get FREE follow-up on questions,

Then again you could go to free-bay or craigslust and get something good..or knot!

Experience is... trading your dollars to someone who has it and when done, you have their experience, and they have your dollars...

Just buy the right stuff and be done with it!

Kevin

I hate to sound like a broken record but, call Bob Kovar

ferg

1347046779[/url]' post='263538']

I've decided that a servo motor on my Consew 206 is the way to go. My clutch motor's pulley is about as small as can be found for this machine, so I don't have that as an option for better control. I do want the manners of a domestic machine, as both my wife and I are used to that, and we won't have the serious workload that might garner us the experience needed for the best control of a clutch motor in any short order.

So, where does that leave me? I see servo motors on eBay in the $125 range (including free shipping), but the choices are many, and I'm unsure of what would work best for me. Price does matter. I would think horsepower will also matter: 1/3, 1/2, 3/4? We will be working garment and furniture leather (1 oz, 2 oz?) into assorted items in the way of bags, wallets, etc. Not that we know what we're getting into; simple, fun stuff to augment our offerings at craft fairs and farmer's markets.

Our machine was priced right for complete beginners – $200 for a Consew 206RB-3; the leather is free as remnants from a furniture-design house; our goals are modest (this is more in the hobby range at this time, though would love to make a little scratch).

So – an inexpensive, but well-regarded servo motor that's been used by some on this forum, who might have a suggestion or two about the direction I might go.

Of course, I'd still have the clutch motor for future use, if that's how things shake out.

Ian

SF Bay Area

++++two!!!

Kevin

OK, then! I've heard of Bob at Toledo Industrial, and have now checked out the ads, so I feel a little more in the loop! Thanks, guys for pointing me in the right direction. I see that it was Bob of Toledo who answered many of my questions regarding my 206RB (Thanks again, Bob!)

When I first became aware of Leatherworker.net, it was through a Google search for any info I could find on the right sewing machine for leather; that led me to Wizcrafts' three-parter on sewing machines, which kinda locked it in solid as far as where I might turn for advice. Thanks for the support. I'll call Bob!

Ian

SF Bay Area

I think what my associates are referring to is the Toledo Sew Slow, formerly called the Sew Pro 500GR, servo motor. It has a speed limiter knob on the back and a 2" pulley. The motor should bolt into the same three holes left from the clutch cargo motor. It has its own switch box, wires and cable cinches. I have two of them and love their wide slow to high speed range.

What they also failed to mention, to somebody unfamiliar with who Bob Kovar is, is that he owns Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. The toll free number is 866-362-7397, during normal business hours, Eastern Time Zone.

That's all I have to say about tha-at

Buy a new brushless one whatever you do!

Buy a new brushless one whatever you do!

can you elaborate on the advantage of the brushless servos please? (besides the fact that brushes wear). thanks.

Without going into a whole mechanical/electrical/philosophical thing, the brushless motors seem to have a lot more spunk in the lower rev range.

Art

A year ago, Art mentioned an SCR controlled servo motor that has full power at the slowest speeds, as well as at full speed. It is (made/marketed) by Sailrite. If you visit sailrite.com you will find a video demo of the MC-SCR motor in action.

The first one I bought went through 3 sets in a year and a half. Plus its one less thin to worry about

can you elaborate on the advantage of the brushless servos please? (besides the fact that brushes wear). thanks.

My choice of motor.

It does not matter if you have a great sewing machine if the motor is a piece of #%#&.

The motor is as important to a sewing machine as it is for a car.

I desided to take the step in to the 21st century and buy a professional motor for my TSC 441 clone.

It had a clutch motor and a speed reducer, I changed these out for a Efka DC 1550 ( with a 321 control).

First I thought I needed the speed reducer, but no. These motors are made to power any kind of sewing machine without any help from reductions gears. The nominal power is 600w, if more is needed just turn it up. It delivers max 1800 watt and a torque of 8 Nm (thats enough for any sewing application). It has needle position and is programable for all kind of stitch patterns (backtacking etc).

You can attach all kinds of solenoids (24 should be enough I think, I am only using one for a pneumatic foot lift) and your computer too. (the control box is a computer, you can change everything or just plug in a memory stick and be ready to sew, certain sewing machines the motor will recognize, plug and play, and every parameter are set automatically)

The low speed control is great. But the best of all, no matter where you bought it you will get support from EFKA Germany if you need it. I received Skype video-call support on programming it from them.

Thank you Manfred with Efka; :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Down sides: you pay a bit more for this motor. Avantages; no need for a speed reducer, very small motor can be placed on the machine head, the best quality and world wide support, a true professional motor drive with the best preformance and low speed control.

With other words; No bullshit. http://www.efka.net/en/Aktuelles/aktuelles.htm

Thanks

Trox