Tina

"Paying it Forward"

Hi all,

Yesterday I got a photo album as a thanks from ClayB (drawing some patterns). Seeing someone elses work up close in person was great and very useful/helpful. The album is super great, have a lot of details and different kind of work that I can look at and studying.

Then I got this idea of "paying it forward", something from me to someone else, the only requirement is that that person makes some leather gods to someone else...Are you with me? :-)

Let me know if this is an idea that would be nice and I start right away:-)

I think it is a great idea....and I would LOVE something from you. :whistle:

I would do it too.

Glad you both like the idea:-)

I have a candidate inmind due to a comment the person made in a topic here if he/she agrees to keep "paying it forward". But I think this might be a good way of seeing other peoples work, not all people here is having the opportunity to leather shows and such.

Have a great day//Tina

Hi all,

Yesterday I got a photo album as a thanks from ClayB (drawing some patterns). Seeing someone elses work up close in person was great and very useful/helpful. The album is super great, have a lot of details and different kind of work that I can look at and studying.

Then I got this idea of "paying it forward", something from me to someone else, the only requirement is that that person makes some leather gods to someone else...Are you with me? :-)

Let me know if this is an idea that would be nice and I start right away:-)

This is a great idea. I would enjoy participating.

Cool:-)

Maybe we should do a list over people that want to be on it?

I start, and anyone that wants to be on it, copy the names that is alreaddy there and ad yours, easier to keep track of. If anyone recieve something, take your name away (?)

tazzman

wildrose

Cecil

I think it is a good idea as long as no-one makes anything UNTIL they get a PM from the previous recipient that they will be getting something. Or something to that effect. Otherwise, this might get carried away and two or three people might start making something for one person.

I think it is a good idea as long as no-one makes anything UNTIL they get a PM from the previous recipient that they will be getting something. Or something to that effect. Otherwise, this might get carried away and two or three people might start making something for one person.

Good thinking:-) I just had a very basic idea about this, but waiting until you get the note seams perfectly logic to me.

I think it would just be the neatest thing to have a little piece from everyone's scrapbox. I would make a giant leatherworker collage and treasure it forever... I'd say count me in to this one, but I don't do anything in the shop any more, and I could never return anything as nice as what you folks make. Good idea though, Tina, spreading the pretty things around.

Johanna

Tina, Awesome idea... Count me in! :thumbsup:

Really like the idea, Tina. I'm in too :)

Rawkin idea!!!!

I am in as well....although not sure anyone wants anything of mine!! :crazy:

Count me in too. but I'll warn you my work isn't very good.

I'm in...!!!

G r e a t .... idea. Count me in.

Regis

I used to visit a pinstriping forum a lot back when I was doing that and they would have "swaps" every now and then. They would set a date and everyone that would want to participate would have to be done with their work by that day and whoever was in charge of the thing would put everyones name into a bag and draw out two at a time. Those two artists would swap work by mailing to each other. It was pretty cool, you get to see different techniques used by others and it's also a great way to build a gallery of work from all over. It was easier over there of course because you could just say make a 12"x12" design and everyone was making the same thing. It maybe different over here because of the millions of different projects that could be made. Just a thought but your pay it forward idea is good too.

I think that tis is a very interesting idea and it would be neat to share work.

I also have a piece hanging up in my store that ClayB made. It is a 3-d bear and it is "very waaaayyyy coooool" as one of the youngsters in the store for a class said.

ClayM

Please count me in too.

Sounds really cool. Count me in!!

We do a swap on the sewing forum that I am a member of, which is fun.

I learned about paying forward from a woman on one of my dog forums.

I've always donated dog collars to shelters, people who rescue pit bulls and as items at auctions that raise money for pit bull friendly causes. I love pit bulls, so I put my time and talent into supporting the breed.

Then one day, a woman on the forum told me she picked up a book for me and asked for my address. She sent me a BOX full of books. Books full of celtic patterns, traditional irish crafts, including leatherworking and dying leather, books on sewing, and books with stories about medieval history, bulldogs and things my kids were interested in. I actually use the celtic pattern books quite often for leather work.

She found I love books, so she sends them to me when she finds topics she knows I am interested in.

I was floored. She refused to let me pay her for them.

Hi all:-)

Cool, I have been gone all day so I could'nt answer earlier.

I got a mail with concerns about giving out addresses in the open forum. Off course this is to be in mails here so that we can keep it confidential.

Like Johanna say, the idea was to get/send items to each other to learn, ask questions, open our minds, dare try new things, start a collection or what ever. Eventually everyone gets/send something and we can start all over :rofl:

It might be easier to go after this list in the beginning (or not?) Feel free to come up with some good working ideas. I can tell that I started with the first on the list, tazzman.

tazzman

wildrose

Cecil

Johanna

SCOUTER

Myriam

Froghunter

Kani

Rayban

Bob

Regis

Wood?

Clay (M)

Banwell

Hoyden

I would like to be a part of this, but like Froghunter said Im not sure anyone would want anything I can make.

My stuffs not too good either but count me in.

Tina, you have come up with a wonderful idea, just a question though. Who do we decide to send our item to?

Count me in, and please let me know who the recipient of an original Beaverslayer item will be.

Ken

"How to" would be a good subject for brainstorming in a chat session. May I sugget Monday, March 25th at 10pm Eastern time.

Tina, maybe for this first time we could just follow the list and see how it goes. Once Tazzman has received Tina's item, then he could contact Wildrose, do an item for her and so on. Only thing required would be to post a message in the thread to let everybody know who's doing something for who and maybe even post a picture of the item they've done. That way the recipient gets the original piece but we all get to see what special item has been done for everyone. How does it sound?

Regis, I like your idea of discussing it in chat, unfortunately, I won't be available. But you all feel free to talk about my suggestion or any other that might come up. Just make sure you post the result in the thread so I know what has been decided.