Regis

I'm glad you missed the gun show here!

Well, I did my first gun show and I'm glad that you all are tooo far away and could not attend,,,,,,, soooo, that made me hands-down, the best leatherworker there :rolleyes: . I layed out 14 holsters (some are actually destined for my sons & friends). I sold 2 plus a sheath and got orders for 3 more holsters (paid in advance :clapping: ). I put a lot of my carvings around the table and tooled a fleur on a new holster during the day. ClayB will recall the cat figure carving I did for the Feb challange and well, I fixed the oversize tooth problem and it was the most popular thing on the table.

If everone that took a card and said "I'll call you" actually does,,,,,,I won't ever have time to get on leatherworker.net again. [lol]

It was a good day and met some fine folk. The guy next to me was from Michigan and he is doing gun shows along the Gulf coast through the winter. And, only one person told me they could get that on ebay for $6!

It's great to hear someone enjoying a gun show.This topic came up recently on a couple of the knife forums and many knifemakers refuse to do gun shows because of the amount of junk being sold and lack of appreciation of thier work. I myself have had great times there.Now I don't do many shows but when I have a free weekend and can get a table for $60 for two days, while being 15 minutes from home and can sell a bunch, I'll jump on it.I usually am the only custom maker of knives and leather there and my table stays busy.I have met and made friends of several high end collectors, and the last two shows were almost sellouts and I recieved many sheath orders.While I know everyone may not have the same experience, I do think an occasional gun show may be good for most and it's a good place to learn some sales and people skills for the newbie's.Dave

Dave,

That's interesting because there was not a knife maker at the show. A knife maker stopped by my table. He said he was glad to see sheaths because the guy that was making sheaths for his knives no longer lives here. Something may work out with that as I had the best sheath I ever made on display, and it sold.

Dave,

That's interesting because there was not a knife maker at the show. A knife maker stopped by my table. He said he was glad to see sheaths because the guy that was making sheaths for his knives no longer lives here. Something may work out with that as I had the best sheath I ever made on display, and it sold.

ok, suck that chest in now.... But ,dont it make you feel good to have a turnout like

that...Now how are you going to get youe wife to let you stay home and do

leather work? congraluations, you deserve it. :thumbsup:

Hi Regis,

I am really glad that turned out well for you. So often we hear reports on those things that didn't go well. I hope you get calls from all those people that took your card and you are busy for a long time. You've worked hard at this and it's cool that people like what you are doing.

I'm really happy for you.

Clay

Regis

I'm glad things worked out for you. As I learn and progress in this business the wheels in my mind are always spinning trying to come up with profitable marketing ideas. It's tough to market a quality product at a profit in a public venue while competing with foreign mass produced junk. You my friend may have found yourself a great business venue.

Randy

It is good here now because there is no one else making custom holsters at all. There were hundreds of the web, camo, canvas, plastic/rubber, etc holsters there. Those folks are competing with walmart, sports acadmy, etc. I learned a lot from the questions people were asking. I also was able to make friends with a few local gun dealers. Met a lot of fine folks and aquantences I haven't see for years. AND, I managed to come away without spending more than I made.

I'm going to start another thread about the "quick draw" order I got today. I may go in the hole on this one but, It will be worth learning.

Thanks to Kevin, Luke and many others here, I made sound holsters and the looks are improving a LOT lately.

Edited by Regis