treefarmernc

Iwb Holster Finish?

I am new to leather working and was wandering what/ how others finish an IWB holster? I have used Super Shene on my first two but am not completely satisfied with it. Also I want to know how to best finish a black dyed holster to keep it from bleeding or rubbing off on clothing? Thanks.

For an IWB, I don't use anything but a product called Resolene. I buy it at my local Tandy store.

The way I apply it is really simple and works great for IWB holsters.

Take a small container (I like an empty Skippy Peanut Butter jar best) and put about 4 oz of Resolene and 4 oz of cool water, . . . shake a bit to mix em up.

Then, using a 1 inch natural bristle paint brush (it's the cheap $ .59 one at the hardware store) I start on the back side of my holsters, this is almost always a flesh side, . . . but I start there anyway.

Dip the brush and cover the back side, . . . stroking back and forth, up and down, zig-zag, etc, . . . working up a little froth with the brush, . . . once you get a little froth, . . . quit adding liquid to the brush, . . . just brush until the bubbles are all gone.

I then go to work in the inside of the holster, . . . using a wool dauber and/or bristle brush, . . . whichever works best on that holster. Do the same type of application as the back.

I then use a rod, . . . my fingers in a rubber glove, . . . or some thing to hold the holster up by having something lodged where the gun goes. That allows me to do the finish on the front of the holster without touching it.

After applying to the front, . . . I put a second coat on the back, . . . making it a thinner coat than the first one, . . . then add a second coat to the front.

Hang it up by a wire in the gun belt slot or one of the belt loops, . . . touch up any place you handled it last, . . . let it dry a minimum of 24 hours before messing with it.

That is the finish that is on my belt and holster in my avatar, . . . and on all the holsters and belts on my website.

May God bless,

Dwight