JubWub

Im New To Leatherworking And Need Help With Tools

Hello, my name is justin cassidento and im 13 years old. i wanted to start leather working so i have something to do other than playing games, and now i have started its better than games. i just need help with finding parts. can someone list parts for me or links because i have nothing than a rawhide hammer, and i need to start buying tools. i have been helped with all the tools i need just not the websites

JubWub, what kind of information are you looking for? Are there particular project you want to start working on. A good place to look is you tube, type in the topic and look for videos. There are videos on projects as well as just how to use different tools swivel knife etc. ON these forums there are many how to's just use the search box at the top of the page.

JubWub, what kind of information are you looking for? Are there particular project you want to start working on. A good place to look is you tube, type in the topic and look for videos. There are videos on projects as well as just how to use different tools swivel knife etc. ON these forums there are many how to's just use the search box at the top of the page.

Agreed. There are soo many different tools for soo many different projects Justin. I think it's great you chose a future hobby that breaks the stereotypical mold. You'd be surprised how people will take to your accomplishments and what someone is capable of doing with raw materials. Let us know what you are looking to make and the great group of people here will point you in the right direction to get you started. Best of Luck!

Agreed. There are soo many different tools for soo many different projects Justin. I think it's great you chose a future hobby that breaks the stereotypical mold. You'd be surprised how people will take to your accomplishments and what someone is capable of doing with raw materials. Let us know what you are looking to make and the great group of people here will point you in the right direction to get you started. Best of Luck!

Thanks for the feed back, and the kind of things that im trying to make are wallets, bags, key chain things, knife holsters ect.

Thanks for the feed back, and the kind of things that im trying to make are wallets, bags, key chain things, knife holsters ect.

You can find you tube videos on all of those projects to help you get started. You also might want to take a trip to Tandy's if there is one that you can get to. They have some kits for wallets, knife sheaths etc. that will give you a starting point and enough of a taste to know if you want to pursue this further. Also most Tandy's have classes that may help you get started. There are also books by Al Stohlman and others on tools and there uses. Al Stohmans Making Cases Vol 1 has some knife sheaths in it as well as a great deal of useful information. On these forums if you go to the Patterns and Templates forum you will find many patterns on different wallets as well as many other projects. If you want to do a project from scratch without a kit, pick a project let us know what you want to do and we can coach you along the way. The price for this help is for you to post a picture of your projects as you make them. we all enjoy seeing other projects and we can offer helpful hints to make the next one even better.

Hello Justin,

Only buy the tools you need for the project you are doing. You will find that as you go along to project after project you will need to buy fewer and fewer tools because you'll have most of them. Call Springfield Leather Company and ask to speak to Kevin and explain to him what you want to make, he will help you with what tools you need and can help with the leather too. He won't over sell you and is easy to work with. Don't let them put you through to the dog who knows nothing about leather; ask Kevin.

Also, check out these videos.

Art

Hello Justin,

Only buy the tools you need for the project you are doing. You will find that as you go along to project after project you will need to buy fewer and fewer tools because you'll have most of them. Call Springfield Leather Company and ask to speak to Kevin and explain to him what you want to make, he will help you with what tools you need and can help with the leather too. He won't over sell you and is easy to work with. Don't let them put you through to the dog who knows nothing about leather; ask Kevin.

Also, check out these videos.

Art

THANKS SO MUCH, do you think that when i call him, he will answer to a 13 year old? and when im talking to him i was going to ask to find or help me with tools and i would want to write them down rather than buy them there, would he be ok with that? but if not thanjs for the help

THANKS SO MUCH, do you think that when i call him, he will answer to a 13 year old? and when im talking to him i was going to ask to find or help me with tools and i would want to write them down rather than buy them there, would he be ok with that? but if not thanjs for the help

Hi Justin,

Kevin is a pretty upright guy. As far as talking with you, he talks to his dogs, why not humans? As far as not buying your tools there, that's up to him, but why not, his prices are very good, but more important, you need to develop a business relation with someone, and Kevin is fair, honest, and most important is willing to share his 40+ years of knowledge about leather.

We can also help here on Leatherworker.net, but we need specific questions and to know what you are trying to accomplish. The folks on this board run the whole spectrum of leatherworking from hobbyist to professional and most are willing to give you help if you need it.

Art

I've been dealing with mainly Tandy and Springfield Leather...but if I could I would deal with Springfield only. I'm originally from there and most people there are still willing to help.