25b

Us Wwi Military Leather Putee Pattern?

Well, I tried searching for this (using google, so it would actually find posts) and though I did find a couple of threads, they weren't really what I was looking for...

I'd like to find a good pattern for US military putees (leather leggings) as used around WWI. The kind I'm looking for are the ones that have a leather strap that wraps around the calf from the ankle to the top and buckles there. There is also another strap and buckle at the top edge.

I have everything I need to make them, I just need a good pattern to use.

I've already looked around on multiple reenactment forums (wildbunch, etc.) and was not able to find any patterns on those forums.

Thanks for any help.

Probably shouldn't bother posting this due to the dearth of help offered from this thread already, but I need to find a source of one of the hardware bits used on these.

It's a metal, rectangular loop that's flat on one long side. That's so that it can be held in place on the top edge by a strap sewn over it and it won't rotate. The loop is 5/8" wide (inner width) and about 3/8" inner width on the shorter dimension.

Anyway, I know most of you won't help me, but I'm hoping some of the hardware vendors on here will see this and may be able to sell me some of those pieces.

Edited by 25b

HI 25b,

I don't know that it's a matter of "won't" help you and perhaps "can't" help. I don't know of anyone who makes these things, and without photos, I'm not positive that I even know exactly what they look like. Do you know of any company / vendor who offers the finished product or reproductions for sale?

Mike

25B,

Sorry about the late reply. You said you searched Google and got no result, understandable as it is spelled "puttees". Almost every army in the world has worn them at one time or another. During WWI, Belgium/France/Germany/Britian/Canada all worn them. I am not aware of leather ones being used. Almost every example I have ever see is a traditional puttee 9' x 3" and made of wool serge which was wrapped from ankle to knee, with a cotton cloth tape 2' x 1/2" attached at the end to tuck in and secure the legging. Heavy canvas and/or leather gaiters were worn by officers, messenger riders or trench runners. I have a set of each from WWI that belonged to family that served and survived the "Great War". Hope this helps you, as I have tried researching US clothing and equipment from that same era, but am also, having problems finding references as well.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by dragonhawke

Leggings, whatever...I've seen them referred to incorrectly (and in numerous seemingly legitimate places) as puttees...I've searched both spellings because some people spell it the way I did before. Some people are also under the impression that the "calvary" was a branch of the army. Guess they've never heard of the CAVALRY...so I always search both spellings of that too.

Anyway, yes...I'm looking for leather leggings patterns. From my research, "gaiters" usually refer to a covering that covers part of the shoe underneath and is generally shorter than the leather leggings I'm trying to make.

What I'm looking for basically look like tall leather boots without the part below the ankle. Hope that's easy enough to follow now.

Edited by 25b

Yeah...................no. Doesn't look anything near WWI leather leggings.

Thanks anyway though...

25b,

Search for spats ww1 - think that might be what you are looking for.

post-51328-0-92551900-1445324497_thumb.j

http://mys.yoursearch.me/images/?category=images&q=spats+ww1

http://www.aef-doughboys.com/leggings.html

Happy hunting

Dirk

Edited by dirkba

Hi 2B,

I know I am very late to the conversation, but I wanted to offer some input.

First of all, I have an actual pair of 1915(ish) leather puttees. (And they do have "puttees" written on the original box, so you are not wrong in the naming of them.) I also have a WWI uniform guide for US troops for 1917 and for 1918. It has both the wraps and leather gaiters listed under the 1917 uniform options (dependent on your units' guidelines), and the leather puttees as the preferred options for the 1918 uniform. This was not for mounted units only. It was also for an vehicle-based units (ambulances and such), and I believe artillery units as well.

Secondly, were you ever able to find a pattern? I am currently trying to make a pair, since the 1915 pair I have are not nearly big enough for my gargantuan calves; and I also don't want to damage them. They are rolled tightly and well molded/hardened to the leg shape, so laying them out to make a pattern is not possible.

Accidental repost. Sorry. Didn't see a "delete post" button.

Edited by NerdXertz
Accidental repost

13 hours ago, Constabulary said:

WPG (WhatPriceGlory) is selling reproduction M-1911 leather puttees - maybe that helps...

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/3138-US-M1911-Leather-Puttees/?bc=no

That is helpful. I was hoping to make my own, as I already have the leather, buckles, and rivets I need. This will be a good back up option if I can't get a pattern, though. Thank you!