OK, so I've just about worn out my second pair of the best sneakers I've ever owned, and of course, the company that made them ("Simple: The Original Antique Modern Shoe") got bought out and immediately shut down a couple years ago.

My question is, is it possible to learn how to make a similar sneaker myself? I've got a pair I can dissassemble to make patterns of the various bits from. I'm developing basic leatherworking skills, and am not afraid to tackle a new learning project.

So, where do I start? I looked at a number of uTube videos, and nothing was quite right (maybe I'm not looking in the right spot?).

Where does one buy rubber outsoles, etc.?

I've attached a photo of my current pair, three years old, and still the original laces(!).

Or should I just toss in the towel and buy a pair of Converse All-Pros?

Thanks!
Dan

post-64192-0-49974200-1447976767_thumb.j

If you're going into production, then yes you can get the things to make a pair of sneakers....but to only make one pair? The anecdote about free milk from a cow comes to mind. I'm not saying it can't be done, mind you, but I think you'll have significantly more time and materials involved than you may expect.

Would you be able to take them to a shoe repair store and have them resoled?

The new converse looks amazing. Im going to pick one up when I get a chance.

It would cost more to create the shoe by yourself as you need a last designed for your outsole.The last could be a generic one, customized by you with plaster or some other substance (there are videos on youtube). To make it entirely out of leather like a boat shoe with a leather sole to ME, that is easier than sewing padding and lining by machine.

Vibram is a popular sole. Where to get it I dont know.

I tackled making a converse shoe (not completed) with different leathers and I recommend buying brand new soles, silver pen, SHARP olfa knife, good quality leather.

Good luck.