rdb

Saddlebags

First I want a big Thank You to our fellow forum member Ian. When I first saw his work I was quite impressed, and sent him a PM with a few questions. He responded quickly, and with tons more info than I had asked for. In essence he sent me the tutorial he posted, early. I really appreciate his effort.

I have been commissioned to make a pair of saddlebags, a tool bag, and a luggage rack bag, by a lady rider with a Dyna. She had seen my version of a toolbag at the Motorrcycle shop (I had posted the bag here on the forum), and she liked it enough to hire me. Hey, I'm an old guy, the only saddlebags I ever made were the "tandy type". In the 70s that's what they wanted. Now is completely different. It's an art form, I'm not familiar with...lol.

So, armed with Ian's info, I plunged in....

11 oz skirting leather, neoprene back ( my rubber/abs samples didn't come soon enough, had to use what I could get).

saddlesoaped, and sno-pruffed.

SS spots.

I'm still getting used to the toro 3000, so the sewing ain't that great, but it's definitely stitched together. I made the corners too tight...next time a little rounder for easier stitching.

I'm waiting for the EZ brackets, and light extension kit, then I'll install. I have no idea what shape the luggage rack bag will look like.

a81__Large_.jpg

c68__Large_.jpg

d57__Large_.jpg

HPIM1066__Large_.jpg

post-5140-1208639355_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1208639385_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1208639399_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1208639677_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdb

Nice job, rdb. I have the very same bike. Do you have a pattern for the bags? If you would care to share, it would help me quite a bit.

Edited by K-Man

Thanx K-man. Nice bike and bags there.

No pattern, man. Just fitted the bag to the lights and shocks angle, and made a 6" gusset. Like I said, my front angle is ok, but the back angle was to severe. It made it hard, had to have 3 arms to do it, and I only got 2...lol

nice clean looking bags! good job rdb

R D B.......... and not black.......good looking bags. :notworthy::clapping::cheers:

Thanx beeza and luke. It means a lot coming from you guys.

She actually wanted the bags to match her seat, and when she saw the natural toolbag aways back, she thought they matched good enough. I actually tried matching to the corbin seat, but couldn't come up with that caramel color, so they stayed natural.

Dave, Excellent job on the bags - really nice and clean looking. I think you're going to have a happy customer.

Thanx Ian!

Only 500 more, and I might know what I'm doing.....lol

Sweet and clean bags RDB! They look great in natural and I'm surprised how well the chrome rivets go with natural. Those type rivets (and many others too) seem to always end up on black items for some reason.

The lady will be very pleased with you!

Can we see the set together once finished please, it will be so good.

Tom

Thanx Tom. Yeh I planned to photo the whole set when it's done later in the week.

The stainless steel spots look good on natural, I agree, but I wished they would make the spots with a chicago screw. There would be less snag issues down the line, plus the center hole instead of the little prong holes that show if you don't get them just right.

Yeah, know what you mean with them screws. Just got purselocks to use for ladys purse and they also have that problem with prong holes and as a lock for a purse I think it really sucks.

Tom

rdb, great looking bags you made, the color will look real good beside that Corbin seat. Maybe talk her into redoing the seat some day as well.

Ken

bags look great!my wife has a Dyna and i'd like to make her a set of new bags.

Where did you get the pattern?

I also need a pattern for a Softatil for saddle bags as well.

Keep up the good work.

Thanx Sawyer.

Like I said, no real pattern. I measured 14" across, matched the angle to the shocks, and measured the height I had to the muffler. Just make a Parallelogram with 14" top and bottom, and 18" sides. The sides I cut 6"or so, and 50" long (couple inches extra so as not to run out of gusset Thanx Ian!). The hard part was shaping the top flap, but you can work it out with paper, after the body of the bag is assembled.

In order to use the Easy Brackets on a Dyna, , you will also have to purchase a relocation kit for the turn signals. You need the hole where the blinkers are positioned, so you have to move them back to the license plate.

Dave at Easy Brackets is good to talk to, when you need advice.

Well, here's the full set, tool bag, tail bag, and saddlebags. I still have some polishing up to do, and rivet the corners, but that's about it.

Wish I could do it all over again....

HPIM1076__Large_.jpg

HPIM1083__Large_.jpg

post-5140-1208897550_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1208897564_thumb.jpg

Customer came and picked 'em up. She told me that she searched everywhere for this kind of bag, from shops to Mfgs, with no luck. So, when she heard some guy made leather stuff, she tried one more time with me.

She calls it "All tanned out", and that's what she wanted.

The easy brackets were okay to work with, but the light relocation was a pain. For the money they charge, a couple extra washers, and a few wiring extras wouldn't break the bank. I'm gonna write them.

Anyways, here's the final pix of the bags on the bike..her hubby's driving....

HPIM1088__Large_.jpg

HPIM1095__Large_.jpg

HPIM1102__Large_.jpg

HPIM1109__Large_.jpg

post-5140-1209403148_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1209403158_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1209403170_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1209403182_thumb.jpg

Exceptionl Dave - That little luggage bag is the BOMB!