This is a pair of moccasins I just finished for a friend of mine, Lester McCoy. Lester is a member of the Miami Indian tribe and has been after me for a couple of years to make him a pair so he can wear them to dance in the powwows he attends.

Lester is also a knife maker by trade and said he would trade me some of his wares for some of mine. Since I have more knives than I can use, I declined his offer but he kept after me until I said, “Lester, I’ll just make you a pair and you can give me whatever you think they’re worth after you get them”. He hasn’t even received them yet and I’ve already gotten two handmade knives in the mail.

Lester wanted them flashy so I made this pair pretty colorful. My wonderful wife, Leah, insisted that they needed beadwork on them and did that job all by her lonesome. I have to admit, the beads really do add something to the finished product. I’m just glad it wasn’t me sewing the little dudes on!

The body of the moccasins is 8 oz buffalo leather. The trim, lacing and fringe are deer leather and the heel and toe caps are Honduran caiman. The lace eyelets are deer antler. Everything was sewn together by hand using artificial sinew.

Besides the satisfaction of making something for a friend, I also received an invitation to bow hunt on Lester’s farm in Kansas. That, to me, is payment enough. Maybe this fall I’ll have some different pictures to share involving me, Lester, and some meat for the freezer.

Darren

LestersMocs-1_zps17e11781.jpgLestersMocs-2_zps0029f3bc.jpgLestersMocs-3_zps2a9f30e0.jpgLestersMocs-6_zps17f61f3a.jpgLestersMocs-4_zps4e81f27c.jpgLestersMocs-5_zpsa52f7eb8.jpgLestersMocs-7_zpsb1e3b16e.jpgLestersMocs-8_zpsee74512c.jpg

Nice job. I can see you put a lot of effort into those!

Great work.

-JonnyRocket

Edited by JonnyRocket

Check out the history of Indian trade beads when you have time you and your wife may be interested to know that the colors are very important as they can be used to help date a piece.... I have several original native pieces. One set, a pair of moccasins, I particularly like is from the Pelly Tribe in the North West Territories!. I also remember , being the brat I was/am cutting the beads off original work that I wished now where complete!

Edited by deserttguy

Those Mocs are wonderful and look really comfortable too!

Did you stitch them by hand or by machine?

Pieces of art, they are!!!

Vikefan

Vikefan, everything was sewn by hand.

Darren

Those are top notch! Great job! I think your friend will be very happy. Making stuff for friends and family is so satisfying.