David

Back to my tattoo artwork

Here is the most complicated seat design I've done thus far.

Comments welcome.

Dave Theobald

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

post-5652-1201919570_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919585_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919597_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919610_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919620_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919630_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919644_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1201919655_thumb.jpg

absolutely beautiful! Please continue to update this with pix in every step of construction!

Outstanding!!!! Please do up with pics as you progress on the seat.

First rate, as always! How do you plan to color it?

Kate

Hey Kate,

I'm sort of up in the air about color so far. Not too sure.

Dave

Dayyammm David, thats amazing! I like it alot. How lon did that take to tool?

KK

Dayyammm David, thats amazing! I like it alot. How lon did that take to tool?

KK

Hey Kevin,

I have about 3 days in the tooling. There are LOTS of tiny cuts that needed beveling.

Dave

That's amazing!

I've been thinking that a koifish design would look great on leather but haven't dared try it yet. It looks fantastic!

Tom

Color?!! Why? It's gorgeous as is.. a little oil, some Pecards, and your done. Sun, Time, and a little butt rubbing will turn it into something fit for a museum someday...Great work!

Hey Dave, that is a great work of art! I'm wondering, do you ever have trouble with the tooling flattening out on a seat like that?

Kathy

Hey Dave, that is a great work of art! I'm wondering, do you ever have trouble with the tooling flattening out on a seat like that?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

The short answer is YES. Especially when you turn them over to a biker who has NO clue about leather care. They look well used in pretty short order. Every time I see one of my seats at a show, I think man, a little saddle soap and oil would go a long way.

Dave

That is just some great work. I love looking at this type of stuff it gives me hope for the future lol.

You are a brave and confident man. And as we can see, with reason. Great work. Those sure are alot of cuts.

You are a brave and confident man. And as we can see, with reason. Great work. Those sure are alot of cuts.

Many thanks Spider, your comments are appreciated.

Dave

Hi David,

I love seeing the stuff you come up with when you do the tattoo style stuff. That's gonna be amazing! The production seats always look great too, but when you get to carving this kind of stuff, it's really something special.

Clay

Hi David,

I love seeing the stuff you come up with when you do the tattoo style stuff. That's gonna be amazing! The production seats always look great too, but when you get to carving this kind of stuff, it's really something special.

Thanks Clay,

After talking with the guys at Sucker Punch this weekend at the V-Twin show, I'm hopeful that there are more "custom" looking seats coming up and fewer "advertising" seats. I believe I've convinced them that these current logo seats need some sort of artwork in addition to the logo or instead of the logo. Got my fingers crossed.

Dave

I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese style art form. I can't tell you how many tattoos i've seen where it's not done right. They think just because there's a Koi or dragon or what have you and some waves all in there. That it's a great Japanese style art tattoo. You've nailed the style Dave !!! I may have missed it , is this your design or was it brought to you ? Either way i really like it. It's put some creative desire back into me. I've got a LARGE piece i've been drawing that's been sitting in the halfway stage. I think i'm ready to get back to it. Thank you !! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one colored. Any idea what the rest of the bike looks like ?

I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese style art form. I can't tell you how many tattoos i've seen where it's not done right. They think just because there's a Koi or dragon or what have you and some waves all in there. That it's a great Japanese style art tattoo. You've nailed the style Dave !!! I may have missed it , is this your design or was it brought to you ? Either way i really like it. It's put some creative desire back into me. I've got a LARGE piece i've been drawing that's been sitting in the halfway stage. I think i'm ready to get back to it. Thank you !! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one colored. Any idea what the rest of the bike looks like ?

Hey Freak,

I'll share a secret with you....this was MY large piece that was sitting in the halfway stage for MONTHS! My sketches were large they started out as two pieces each 14" X 17"; one was a dragon and the other was a koi. I looked at them every day (it seemed like forever) before it hit me to combine the two. Then the question was, will I be able to tool it when it is reduced small enough to fit a bike seat? I'm still considering adding additional decorative lacing, like the narrow black lacing near the edge on the "Donny at Sucker Punch seat". (The one with the suede applique.) This decorative lace will cover the design in a few places, that is why I still considering. There is no bike for this seat YET! It was strictly something that I did for me, on a seat pan that I owned.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Many thanks Spider, your comments are appreciated.

Dave

the cuts are clean and even in terms of depth, but the beveling is where i stand back and say "niiice".

just keeping your self straight in the design is tough when it comes to beveling art like that...

obviously you not consuming any alcohol when your tackle one of these intricate wavy weaving designs..lol

good job, i'd oil it, antique it and call it a day...

the cuts are clean and even in terms of depth, but the beveling is where i stand back and say "niiice".

just keeping your self straight in the design is tough when it comes to beveling art like that...

obviously you not consuming any alcohol when your tackle one of these intricate wavy weaving designs..lol

good job, i'd oil it, antique it and call it a day...

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the comments. It took me a while to come up with the artwork for the back....I finally drew a modification of the koi on the front....

So here it is. I think it looks ok; I just hope I can tool it that small.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

post-5652-1202445405_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1202445427_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1202445439_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Question for everyone who cares to express an opinion

Should I put an extra edge of lacing around the front and back of the seat like this?

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks for taking time to respond

Dave Theobald

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

post-5652-1202474598_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1202474616_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Question for everyone who cares to express an opinion

Should I put an extra edge of lacing around the front and back of the seat like this?

Dave Theobald

No.