Sign in to follow this  

So I bought a few Tandy patterns and decided to finally get going with a large back quiver. I've already screwed up in that I burnished the edges before dying, whoops. Guess I was too eager to use my new burnisher. I'm posting pics in order, hopefully I'll have the whole thing finished up soon.

I designed a celtic-knot style arrowhead, didn't want to go too crazy with complexity but wanted something interesting to go below the pouch. post-11723-0-85040700-1430675968_thumb.j

Used a backgrounder around the arrow and along the edges of the quiver, the leather has some flaws in it that I hope will be disguised at least a bit by that.post-11723-0-41060000-1430676133_thumb.j

I wanted to try out some more of my stamps though, so I made a "vine" by going back and forth with a thin scallop edge tool and stuck some leaves on each of the joins. Thought it turned out better than it had any right to, really.post-11723-0-34240100-1430676225_thumb.j

Then the dying, I almost went with green but figured I'd save that for another day. ;) I like how much the arrow pops out now.post-11723-0-48600900-1430676318_thumb.j

I'm pleased with the backgrounder and the vine, too. You can see my cruddy edges though. post-11723-0-67012100-1430676457_thumb.j

Now I'm finally at the stitching point. I actually wound up removing a bunch I did because I realized after I started that I had a different thread I'd rather use, artificial sinew, instead of the waxed cotton I had been using. Whoops. Ah well, it gave me a bit more practice, and I almost feel like I know what I'm doing with a saddle stitch at times. Using a dixon pricking iron and awl, and I'm dropping the awl far less than I was when I started. (fortunately I'm sitting on the couch so it's only plopping onto the cushion or jabbing my leg instead of falling onto cement and ruining the point). Here's the shoulder strap, which according the the instructions is supposed to be wrong side out. post-11723-0-81845200-1430676483_thumb.j

Here's the opposite side, on the inside of the quiver. Not perfect , but fairly good for a newb.post-11723-0-78569600-1430676704_thumb.j