Sign in to follow this  
Lobo

The Hank Sloan style hammer shield

A very good customer, who happens to be a retired FBI agent, recently contacted me for a pancake-style holster to carry his Colt Combat Commander. There were two specific requests; first, the pistol is fitted with rather high-profile sights, so the sight channel needed to accomodate about 3/8" sight height; second, the customer was interested in the Hank Sloan style of hammer shield.

Hank Sloan's design involved the Threepersons-style holster for revolvers with the outer holster panel extended upward to completely shield the hammer on double-action revolvers. This was done to prevent the hammer from snagging in the clothing. That style became pretty much the standard for FBI agents for many years.

Having recently produced an Avenger-style holster utilizing a welted seam, I discussed this with the customer as an option for the pancake style. The welted seam permits an excellent sight channel on the pancake style. Mr. Customer liked the idea, as well as the tunnel-style approach to the belt attachment slots.

So, the holster was produced and delivered. Holster panels were cut from Hermann Oak 8-oz. veg-tanned. Lining is kidskin (glove leather). Welts for front and rear were cut from 9-10 oz. for maximum sight clearance as well as aiding in the rigidity of the finished holster. Belt slots are 1.25" X 0.25" to accomodate the lined belt that I previously made for this customer.

So, a couple of more ideas for addressing the customer's needs and desires.

I am pleased with the results and may add the welted seam construction as an option on my pancake style production. Very little additional material needed, but the cutting needs to be quite precise and multiple stitching patterns are required to get everything assembled properly. I estimate an additional half-hour or so per holster produced.

10-18-09 leather 022.jpg

10-18-09 leather 024.jpg

post-7487-125613694302_thumb.jpg

post-7487-125613696226_thumb.jpg

A very good customer, who happens to be a retired FBI agent, recently contacted me for a pancake-style holster to carry his Colt Combat Commander. There were two specific requests; first, the pistol is fitted with rather high-profile sights, so the sight channel needed to accomodate about 3/8" sight height; second, the customer was interested in the Hank Sloan style of hammer shield.

Hank Sloan's design involved the Threepersons-style holster for revolvers with the outer holster panel extended upward to completely shield the hammer on double-action revolvers. This was done to prevent the hammer from snagging in the clothing. That style became pretty much the standard for FBI agents for many years.

Having recently produced an Avenger-style holster utilizing a welted seam, I discussed this with the customer as an option for the pancake style. The welted seam permits an excellent sight channel on the pancake style. Mr. Customer liked the idea, as well as the tunnel-style approach to the belt attachment slots.

So, the holster was produced and delivered. Holster panels were cut from Hermann Oak 8-oz. veg-tanned. Lining is kidskin (glove leather). Welts for front and rear were cut from 9-10 oz. for maximum sight clearance as well as aiding in the rigidity of the finished holster. Belt slots are 1.25" X 0.25" to accomodate the lined belt that I previously made for this customer.

So, a couple of more ideas for addressing the customer's needs and desires.

I am pleased with the results and may add the welted seam construction as an option on my pancake style production. Very little additional material needed, but the cutting needs to be quite precise and multiple stitching patterns are required to get everything assembled properly. I estimate an additional half-hour or so per holster produced.

holster looks very nice....if you don't mind me asking, What is a welted seam?

The welted seam consists of a third layer of leather between the outer and inner holster panels. In this example, the purposes served include additional rigidity of the finished piece, with an enhanced sight channel along the forward seam area, and the belt loops can be formed in tunnel-style permitting the holster to lie very flat on the belt with minimal material between the belt and body for enhanced comfort.

This can be difficult to visualize, so I am attaching a photo or two.

10-18-09 leather 006.jpg

10-18-09 leather 007.jpg

post-7487-125643229205_thumb.jpg

post-7487-125643230444_thumb.jpg