dfrensdorff

Re-Casing Before Any Tooling?

Hello all. I have a veg tan belt blank that I cut from a double shoulder that I am casing ( ala instructions from here). It is in a cooler and ready to tool any time. If I don't get to it and don't start any tooling, can I re-case if it dries out? Thanks.

If it is going to be a short time, keep it damp in a ziplock bag. If it is going to be a long time, let it dry and rewet it.

Edited by electrathon

If it is in a plastic bag, sealed, and kept cool, it shouldn't dry out (where would the moisture go?). Make sure it is cool enough that it doesn't go moldy.

Tom

Since on some parts of saddles I case them prior to fitting them to the saddle, such as the fork cover and the seat leather, skirts and so on, however; once it is fitted it then needs to dry to fully "form", After that I usually make and fit all the pieces as if it were not going to be tooled. Once done is when I then make the borders and outlines for tooling so they all flow together from piece to piece. In the case of the fork cover for instance it usually has been dry for quite some time before I am ready to tool. Since I did case it well before I started to form it to the fork, I simply wet it good with a spray/mister, let it get to the range of dryness/wetness I like for tooling and have at it. If I understand it correctly, casing allows the fibers in the leather to align, giving a more consistent texture to the leather. In my opinion, once cased properly, it remains cased and rewetting is just a way of getting it to the level you like for tooling. Now that is my opinion, and like belly buttons , we all have one. This is how I do it, and what works for me. Hope that helps. Besides I couldn't fit a whole damn saddle in the fridge anyway!! If I did, my wife would kick my a## ! :rofl:

Bob

Reminds me of a joke about how to fit 3 elephants into a fridge, but it is long winded, and i am not today.....another time. Its better in person anyways.

Thanks guys....I put it in a zip lock and back in the cooler....we will see how it goes as I won't get to it until Tuesday.