Sign in to follow this  
The Farmers Daughter

Rough Out With Mold, Ick

I pulled the old mans saddle out of storage today. Yikes what a mess!

Its a rough out saddle and....no....wait a sec....to be more accurate, its a mold saddle with rough out. Parts are going technicolor.

How can I clean it?

Thank you!

REALLY? Nobody?

Thought you folks dealt with leather everyday....:helpsmilie:

I pulled the old mans saddle out of storage today. Yikes what a mess!

Its a rough out saddle and....no....wait a sec....to be more accurate, its a mold saddle with rough out. Parts are going technicolor.

How can I clean it?

Thank you!

We use ammonia and water, as strong as you can stand it. I've also tried alcohol, but it always comes back in a humid climate. This has been discussed on here before and I don't think anyone had a permanant cure, once it's in the leather, it's pretty much there.

Good luck,

Kevin

Plain old white vinegar full strength will 99% of the time kill and clean mold - wipe it on and lte dry then using a stiff natural bristle brush scrub down the leather to remove the dried mold. Re-apply/re-do if necessary and then condition the leather per normal

We've found that a product from Bee Natural leather Care called Rudy's is very effective at removing mold and mildew from saddles. We use it all the time.

Vinegar would be my first choice only I'd use a spray bottle and wear a mask. Best done outside or well ventilated area. When dry you might want to try vacuuming if your's has a hose and small brush. I've had good luck picking up the nap by brushing the edge of a dry-as-a-board cellulose sponge. It sure won't cause any damage. Do we get a pic or two before you start?

Edited by Saddlebag

Vinegar would be my first choice only I'd use a spray bottle and wear a mask. Best done outside or well ventilated area. When dry you might want to try vacuuming if your's has a hose and small brush. I've had good luck picking up the nap by brushing the edge of a dry-as-a-board cellulose sponge. It sure won't cause any damage. Do we get a pic or two before you start?

I started the project before I saw your post, but here is what it looks like right now. Its had one application of vinegar spray and is out in the breeze.

For some reason, I can't seem to upload more than 2 photos. I keep getting an error message. Will keep trying.post-12483-064388700 1300562734_thumb.jp

post-12483-098798300 1300562218_thumb.jpIts an old Wyeth.

Edited by The Farmers Daughter

Nice to see the workmanship in the seat, the beautiful diamond pattern. The design in the seat often denotes the quality of the saddle.

I too use Bee Natural's RUDY'S, it is a natural product that I have used for years here in our shop. I also like Montana Pitch Blend oil and dressing, it has pine pitch in it. We buy Rudy's and MPB products by the case our customers like them as well for treating mold. I don't like using harsh products and home remedys on good leather........... Jeff

the reason your probley having trouble with your pictures is that their so big. If you resize them i bet you can load more than two at a time.