Sign in to follow this  
Pip

Leather sheath

Leather sheath for one of the most awkward knives my friend owns. The knife is good the sheath it came in was absolute rubbish kydex, and the slightest hop caused the blade to leap out and pin your foot to the floor.

My friend wanted no securing strap, just friction so design on the front is really desguising the wetforming. He wanted an adjustable ride hieght on his belt, and this system seems to work really well. I have seen it before on some custom knives, and it looks great (i think).

What do you guys think? Be Honest Please any helpful criticism graciously received!

The stitching on the back starts a little wobbly until I get the hang of it, then straightens out nicely (only after breaking five needles and a stitching awl).

Thanks for looking!

sheathknifenet.JPG

post-3537-1190640828_thumb.jpg

Hey Pip!

I think the sheath looks nice. The photo is a little small to see much detail, but the stitching looks good from what I can see. I wouldn't worry too much about the back. Of course, you want to do it as well as possible, but the front is all anybody will see when it's worn. How the heck did you break five needles and an awl??? Do you have a stitching horse? Is your awl really sharp? That will help with getting the holes to go straight through to the back where you want them.

Mike

Pip,

I also think the sheath looks great. And that knife is awesome as well.

Ken

I like the concept...hard for me to see the stitching, not your fault, my eyes.....

Sounds like you could use a stitching horse..I got a real cheapie at Tandy years ago and I still use it...I believe it's a "must have" for hand stitching..and of course, an awl..

Keep it up, you'll learn with everything you make...

RAY

I don't have a horse, because everywhere I look (over here) they have supply problems with them. I may make my own! it doesn't look too difficult what is it like at the point that grips your project? is it textured? i am guessing not as the may mark, covered in material?

The needles (although they were called leatherwork needles) I have been advised were the wrong sort and since I got better ones the project went just fine. The stitching awl I just don't know how I managed that, i sharpened it up and was running fine, then the blade just kinda exploded into about three peices. Maybe a fracture on the shaft? Or I may have twisted it too much I don't know, i hadn't really got the feel of how it feels right before I busted it.

I will post a bigger pic soon.

anyone that laces Bilfolds ect.... or Hand sews will appreciate

this. you will wonder how you did without it.. :thumbsup:

(REGIS.... GET BUSY there is a lot for you to accumilate :-)...)

Edited by Luke Hatley

But Luke, I'm still working on improving tooling and using my sewing machines (accurately) :biggrin:

I guess I need to get back up to Memphis with project in-hand.

Regis

Check out this tutorial, they look very easy to make.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

anyone that laces Bilfolds ect.... or Hand sews will appreciate

this. you will wonder how you did without it.. :thumbsup:

(REGIS.... GET BUSY there is a lot for you to accumilate :-)...)