Sign in to follow this  
Stagdag

Leather weight limits...

Hey all,

I'm wanting to make a medieval/SCA/Fantasy/possibles type belt pouch/purse however the only leather I have big enough for it right now is vegetable bellies which are 7-9oz in weight:eek:

Is this too thick of leather and how would you folks stitch it, or would you lace it instead?

I currently have three types of thread, artificial sinew, nylon, and USGI waxed cotton, however I've run out of black synthetic lace:(

Will the thread or sinew work instead?

Thanks a bunch:)

PMZ

I'm no expert (at all), but it would depend on how 'authentic' looking that you would like your items to look.

For most SCA stuff, using a straight awl to make the hole and either thread will work.

On items where the leather will stretch with use (such as shoes), the synthetic stuff will not work as it doesn't have the give that say a linen thread would have.

I hope that helps.

Good luck,

David

you're using bellies, so that leather is gonna be a bit softer and stretchier than, say, a shoulder of the same weight. and look at it this way, using that weight means your bag is gonna outlast most others! *L* as far as stitching versus lacing, depends on what look you're going for and what style bag.