Ok to really get the feel for this one and to make sure we are all on the same page here. You need to click the link i'm about to post and listen to it while you are viewing this thread.

JUST DO IT DANG IT !!!!! click HERE !!

Did you do it ??? Then do it, geeze people.

Ok , i started this one today. I've been drawing and drawing and i've tooled it a few times on scrap. It took me a few times to achieve the look i was after. But, as luck would have it i think i got it. I Can't figure carve so i did it like this and i did it like that, then i did it with a wiffle ball bat, Oh wait, sorry. I did it this way..

You ready for the mucho pictur'os ?? Are you listing to the link above ?? Now hit replay, just do it dang it....some people.

first, it's just carved, i started beveling and then thought , :Lighten: I'll take a picture.

Then a few of it beveled. Can ya see where i'm going with this? Now you get why the link , rite ??? rite ?? Come on lets' have a lil fun peeps.

Then a few of it all tooled. And that's where i'm at as of now .

I don't know, i'm very tempted to try and add bullet loops to use as a pen holder.

freak

cbcarved01.jpg

cbbeveled02.jpg

cbbeveled03.jpg

cbbeveled04.jpg

cbtooled02.jpg

cbtooled04.jpg

cbtooled05.jpg

post-158-1199744343_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744463_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744477_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744488_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744730_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744770_thumb.jpg

post-158-1199744777_thumb.jpg

Freak that is nice, when i hit the link i thought ok whats coming now and scrolled down a bit and thought wow i like the style and originality, nice one Freak, Don

freak, that's just GREAT work...I LOVE it...but when I clicked the link my puter froze solid, and no it wasn't the cold Canadian winter here.

But great work, can't wait to see it finished.

Ken

That's some good work. I like the minimal use of lines, and the background shading...kewl.

Thanks !! Mucho appreciation .. Like i said it took me a few tries to get the proper look i was after. If i had hair i would of pulled it out.

The link is just a sound bite of the song from the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY.

I really wan to just leave it this color. i've never done that before. Some one give me some ideas here. Can i just use some type of oil ? I don't mind a little color. Then again i just might only use antique. I just don't know !!!!!!!!!1

Hey Freak, that's pretty cool! How do you come up with your ideas? I would have never thought you could do that with a pebble backgrounder. The music was a neat touch. By the way, those initials match my initials, just in case you didn't realize that. :D

Clay

By the way, those initials match my initials, just in case you didn't realize that. :D

Clay

OMG, they do don't they. Well if he pisses me off in the next few weeks ,,,, it's yours.

Freak,

You can just give it a light coat of neatsfoot oil. Let that soak in and even out over night, then give it a coat of Neat Lac, rubbed in well with a piece of sheepskin. That will darken the leather a little, but I think it gives a nice look.

Clay

Hey Freak, that's pretty cool! How do you come up with your ideas? I would have never thought you could do that with a pebble backgrounder. The music was a neat touch. By the way, those initials match my initials, just in case you didn't realize that. :D

Clay

Wow Freak that is great. I love it. I could get lost in that type of work. Give us some more heads up on the style. If you don't mind that is. I'm a newbie and would love to one day make something look that good. I knew right away when I saw the first one it was Clint.

Wish this quote thing would stop. Can someone help me? I don't know why it is doing it.

I wish this quote thing would stop.

Thats coooooooooool! Just put some neatsfoot on it. Don't dye it. Or as Clint Eastwood would say: "Dyin' aint much of a livin' boy".

KK

Thanks all. I think the neatsfoot oil is what i'll try.

Kani if you look at the pictures you can see it as i did. I can't figure out how to get the pictures to post in the order i want them to. So i'll try to do it this way and maybe it will help you. Remember there is no wrong way , just different ways. but here's mine.

In this picture i've done all my carving with the swivel knife. Most lines are cut, but you have to pay attention cause some are not i just use a modeling spoon on those. I started beveling then took the pic.

The start pic 1

click here

Then i "inverted bevel " , i beveled on the inside of the line instead of the outside. Again paying attention to where and what side of the line you're beveling. If it was just a single line , i beveled it on the outside. Like the 2 short lines at the top left of the hat.

Pics

click here

and click here

Then once i did all my beveling i used a background tool to fill in with. I used a pebble backgrounder tool from HideCrafter, PA004 & PA003. Then i added a few lines with a modeling spoon and lightly used it like a pear shader in a few spots.

cbtooled06.jpg

post-158-1199750689_thumb.jpg

Thanks Freak this is just too cool. Gotta play with this and see if I can do any better on this than that flower thing.

Thanks all. I think the neatsfoot oil is what i'll try.

Kani if you look at the pictures you can see it as i did. I can't figure out how to get the pictures to post in the order i want them to. So i'll try to do it this way and maybe it will help you. Remember there is no wrong way , just different ways. but here's mine.

In this picture i've done all my carving with the swivel knife. Most lines are cut, but you have to pay attention cause some are not i just use a modeling spoon on those. I started beveling then took the pic.

The start pic 1

click here

Then i "inverted bevel " , i beveled on the inside of the line instead of the outside. Again paying attention to where and what side of the line you're beveling. If it was just a single line , i beveled it on the outside. Like the 2 short lines at the top left of the hat.

Pics

click here

and click here

Then once i did all my beveling i used a background tool to fill in with. I used a pebble backgrounder tool from HideCrafter, PA004 & PA003. Then i added a few lines with a modeling spoon and lightly used it like a pear shader in a few spots.

I'm having great success using the Pure neatsfoot oil, and mixing with spirit dyes..I start with 3 parts oil, and 1 part dye. Test on scrap (same hide scrap) and then either add oil, or dye accordingly. If you finish it once, and want it darker just make a darker mix, but rub it on with a cloth not a dauber...that way you aren't over oiling. Make sure it dries for at least 24 hours before doing anything else, like a top coat.

It doesn't darken any backgrounding so, either you have to paint with a brush, or use an antique over it.

That was a cool post.... my employees are gonna hate me tomorrow cause I will be whistling that all day long!! Whaa whaa wha!!!LOL

ClayM.

Freak, like everyone has said "very nice work". I like it. You made our eyes get the pic with pieces of Clint missing. Nice. Please let us know what it looks like when it's done.

That was a cool post.... my employees are gonna hate me tomorrow cause I will be whistling that all day long!! Whaa whaa wha!!!LOL

ClayM.

Well they'll be a hattin ya again.

Thanks all for the kind words. I decided to go ahead and add some color like i originally planed. I wanted it to look a little rough, you know like a old saddle. Anyway i like the way it turned out . I think he'll be more then pleased with it. I also added a little extra feature . You'll have to watch the video to see it. It can't be captured on picture.

Not sure we can code you tube videos on these boards so you'll have to click the link

Now on to the pictures James !!

cbnotebook01.jpg

cbnbinside01.jpg

cbcover01.jpg

cbback01.jpg

post-158-1200086454_thumb.jpg

post-158-1200086463_thumb.jpg

post-158-1200086476_thumb.jpg

post-158-1200086486_thumb.jpg

Freak, are those Colt Walkers? One of my customers uses Colt Walkers and I made holsters for those monsters. He said Clint used guns like this. I forget which movie he said... Nice Work Freak... nice color too

bobcat

that is some cool work Freak. I like the contrasting colors. it just proves to me that there is more to leather work than just flowers and scrolls. very nice!

Well they'll be a hattin ya again.

Thanks all for the kind words. I decided to go ahead and add some color like i originally planed. I wanted it to look a little rough, you know like a old saddle. Anyway i like the way it turned out . I think he'll be more then pleased with it. I also added a little extra feature . You'll have to watch the video to see it. It can't be captured on picture.

Not sure we can code you tube videos on these boards so you'll have to click the link

Now on to the pictures James !!

Dude. PLEASE tell me you are in a guild so you can bring that and enter it next October at the IFOLG show. I have seen some awesome stuff at the show and to me, this ranks right up there (personally, WAY up there).

OK, so I'm looking at the plain one and agreeing "yah, just protect it..." I'm not sure, but I think I like the colored one better. Wow.

Make me one and just frame it. My initials are BH... :D

Brent

The color is awesome. How'd you get that look?

that is some cool work Freak. I like the contrasting colors. it just proves to me that there is more to leather work than just flowers and scrolls. very nice!

I sure hope so , cause i can't do any flowers or scrolls worth a carp !!

Dude. PLEASE tell me you are in a guild so you can bring that and enter it next October at the IFOLG show. I have seen some awesome stuff at the show and to me, this ranks right up there (personally, WAY up there).

Nope sorry, They want let me in. They said it's because i tool naked but i know it's cause i can't do flowers and scrolls. I'll guess though i need to join one cause i'm throwing some stuff in the next show !! Ya Heard !!