Sign in to follow this  
Zonker

Lacing For A Knife Sheath Question

Hello folx lets see if I do better on this section of the forum with this. Here is what I have: I am making a sheath for a Bowie knife. It is about 1/4 inch thick or so and I was wanting to do a lacing I was incorrectly calling a mexican boxbraid. What it is is this from 1 go to 4 then back to 2 then 5 back to 3 and so on gives an awesome looking chevron pattern. My problem is not knowing how to make that do angles and can it even be done at such an acute angle as the knife point?

If it is not doable what would you all recommend for something like this? Something that will look good and cover alot of the edge? Double loop?

Hello folx lets see if I do better on this section of the forum with this. Here is what I have: I am making a sheath for a Bowie knife. It is about 1/4 inch thick or so and I was wanting to do a lacing I was incorrectly calling a mexican boxbraid. What it is is this from 1 go to 4 then back to 2 then 5 back to 3 and so on gives an awesome looking chevron pattern. My problem is not knowing how to make that do angles and can it even be done at such an acute angle as the knife point?

If it is not doable what would you all recommend for something like this? Something that will look good and cover alot of the edge? Double loop?

Well Zonker, I'd suggest the double loop for that application. However, take a look at "Kingsmere Crafts" (google it) and check their index (they show a pot-load of stuff) for Mexican round lacing. They show a full step by step tutorial on how to do it and may show how to go round a tight corner like that with that style of lacing. Dave Cole (DCKnives) used it a lot on his knife sheaths and they looked very good. Mike

Edited by katsass

Well neither of them got me where I need to be but looking at DC 's stuff gave me an idea. If I run the braid down both sides to a stop at the point I can put a rivet at the point and it should look fine. It would also be one of the rivets to hold the loop for the leg strap so it would be fully structural as well.

Thanks Katsass