Aurelie

"quick Lock Buckle"? - Need Help There Please

hello guys!

I need your help on that one.

I am not even sure what is he real name for that stuff .

I am looking those kind of buckles on western bridle which allowes a quick change of the bit

weaver does not sell them

Have you any ideas where i can buy them?

I would need that for a customer

I include there a picture of it (sorry it is not terrific quality) if it is any help

thanks

Aurelie

post-22438-0-36863800-1418229767_thumb.j

I've heard them called "quick change" buckles. I have a set of reins I got as a present with them. Whoever built the reins just used a metal "square" but I think a "D" would work OK too. Attach it to the back piece however you want (the reins are at home or I'd look to see what they did) cut a slot through the next piece that folds over and cut your tab to fit through the "D" or square on top of that.

I hope that makes sense and helps!

Josh

yes josh i exactly see what you mean and that was my plan "B" if i did not find them :)

Well, no one has commented on this topic for a while, but I would also like to know where someone can find the metal loop piece that the attachment strap goes through. I've repaired these headstalls before, and have always managed to make them work. However, I have a customer that wants me to build them a headstall with brass box loops, and brass tips on the 3/8" strap that goes through the loop. I figure I can use a hat band tip, but the box requires a flange on the bottom that is riveted through the bottom strap of the headstall. The loop is flat and wider than a plain wire loop, and can be engraved with a design. Someone out there has had to have to come across a source somewhere.

I've checked many web sites (Hansen's, Montana Silver, etc.) but no luck.

Ron

Are you handy at making hardware??

No one makes these loops any more.

Geneva, thanks for the reply. I was hoping not to have to spend hours trying to make something that I could buy for the price of a cup of coffee. But, I guess sometimes you have to admit defeat.

Thanks, Ron

What do these loops actually look like? I've seen these headstalls with a d-ring fitting, which worked very well.

This is somewhat similarhttp://www.parkecountyconnection.com/tackshackphotos/_125headstallquickbitdet2.gif and it looks like there's just a square tubing secured by a leather strap or so.

Edited by Thor

I've made these with a leather loop. No need for metal unless the customer is insisting on it.

It's been a while but I think I used 4/5 oz for the loop. It doesn't need a lot of srength.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Ron, maybe just buy some sheet stock metal of your choice.

Cut your piece, bend it, and solder it.

It doesn't require a lot of strength. I think it would work.

Joel

Attached is a photo of the item that I am trying to find. I had an idea of fabricating something out of a long box slide; however, I haven't found any of those small enough (1/2"x1/2"x1"). The only box slides that I found were 1inch square (too big). Thanks for the suggestions.

Ron

PS the photo is a repair job sitting on the bench. Separate from my search.

post-16421-0-98305200-1423862537_thumb.j

Attached is a photo of the item that I am trying to find. I had an idea of fabricating something out of a long box slide; however, I haven't found any of those small enough (1/2"x1/2"x1"). The only box slides that I found were 1inch square (too big). Thanks for the suggestions.

Ron

PS the photo is a repair job sitting on the bench. Separate from my search.

Never seen those parts available anywhere before.

If you really need them, McMaster-Carr has stainless steel square tubing in 1/2" x 1/2"...you could easily cut several of these with a rotary tool.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-square-tubing/=vw9bbz

Looks like U-profile soldert to a flat piece. That's not all too hard to make and fairly quick as well.

Thor, I've never soldered silver, so I don't know if it would be practicable to try. 25b I'll try McMasters. Weaver's has small square loops, but no small box loop stock. I figured I could cut down a box loop leaving a flange at the bottom and the loop for the buckle piece. We'll see. Thanks guys.

Ron

This piece could easily be cut from rectangular tubing. Its just 4 hacksaw cuts and 4 holes.

Here is a link to buy it by the foot in stainless:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stainless-steel-hollow-tubing/=w7z63g
may have to get it plated after for brass or silver.
Btw, this site is a goldmine for hardware and tool makers...... look around.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Tinker,

I looked at McMasters site a couple of weeks ago. They do carry box stock, and it just may work. I just haven't had time to pursue this item further.

Thanks, Ron

This piece could easily be cut from rectangular tubing. Its just 4 hacksaw cuts and 4 holes.

Here is a link to buy it by the foot in stainless:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stainless-steel-hollow-tubing/=w7z63g

may have to get it plated after for brass or silver.

Btw, this site is a goldmine for hardware and tool makers...... look around.

Yeah, if you look three posts above yours, I recommended the exact same thing and exact same website a few weeks ago...

Yeah, if you look three posts above yours, I recommended the exact same thing and exact same website a few weeks ago...

True, I obviously missed that portion of your post. However, I still don't see where you suggested that he could have them plated silver or brass. I recall that i suggested it could be done with a hacksaw and a drill whereas you meantioned a rotary tool. I also added the fact that mcmaster also has many other things of interest in regards to hardware and tool making to the discussion. In addition, i linked to the page where the rectangular tubing is because the part he is making is not a square it is a rectangle.

If you want to nit-pick.we can go there....or we can just be friendly.

Its not all about who's idea it is, It is about SHARING information.

Yeah, but I gave him the best, fastest, and most practical options on material and procedures, so...