JamesR

Full Or Split Grain?

Hello,

If you purchase full grain leather and have it split(reduced in thickness) what would it be called then?

Would your products be using top grain, split grain or still full grain?

Thank You

Jim

EDIT: I took a stroll down the forum menu and found what I think to be more accurate info than what I was offering. Have a look at Johanna's post here;

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7447

Edited by Wicked Welts

I would still call it full grain leather as it is not mixed/glued to other synthetic layers.

I thought "top grain" was leather that had a layer removed from the flesh side to get the desired thickness.

I did not know glue was involved.

I just want to be accurate when I describe my products.

thanks

Jim

The strongest part (tightest grains) are the skin side that has all its natural marks. Skiving full grain leather to make it thinner is done from the flesh side as you mentioned. It's still full grain just just not as thick of a weight per square foot.

The term "top grain" just means the top grain has been corrected to appear more uniform. They start by sanding the top grain and then stamp a faux pattern to make it look almost perfect. The name "top grain" makes it sound superior to any other leather but its not. Probably more to this process including glues and coatings that I care to understand as I don't use this type of leather. It might make it more stain resistant to be used on furniture. If they called it "corrected grain" maybe it would not sale.

For example: Sir, would you like to purchase this corrected grain leather couch for $4,000?

If they called it "corrected grain" maybe it would not sale.

For example: Sir, would you like to purchase this corrected grain leather couch for $4,000?

That's how I see it and I figure that's the main reason the term "Top Grain" continues to be used or is it abused?

Top Notch

Top Shelf

Top Grain

It's easy to say "We need to educate our customer" but not so easy to do right? Heck, it still confuses me and makes me wish the term "Improved Grain" was chosen instead of "Corrected Grain". :)

chriscraft,

Great explanation!

I understand the difference now.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Jim