I am in search of a sewing machine that will work on leather for handbags (2-4oz). I've went to stores, called stores, and searched high and low on the internet. Well, I've found this guy that is about an hour away from me that sells industrial used and new sewing machines. He used to be in the handbag business, sold it last year and now just sells and fixes industrial sewing machines. He says he has a Singer 331K- head and stand for $400. He said he has serviced it and it is running great. Is it worth $400? :whatdoyouthink: Will it work for what I need it for? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If the answer is no, can you suggest a different machine? I don't want to spend more than $500. Thanks!

One of the machines I was taught on was a Singer 331K (4). There is also a 331K (1). I am not sure of the difference. The k4 although old is a little dream machine and will purr like a kitten. The younguns at work look at me like I'm strange when I head to the antiquated K4 by choice. It will handle garment/upholstery weight leathers with ease. If It is in good order I'd say it is a good buy at $400 but then again I'm thinking in Aus dollars. Because of age, parts maybe an issue. Our machine mechanic has told us that if it claps out in a big way then it is off to the machine grave yard but for now he can still get minor bits and pieces for it. Someone like Art may be able to chime in and give you another perspective but I love the little old K4.

Barra

He said it was 30 to 40 years old and that parts are easy to find. But, he said that it has an up to date motor and parts. He told me he does this for a living and doesn't let any machine leave his shop without it being in great working condition. He also said that I am welcome to come down to look at any of his machines and if I don't end up getting anything, that is fine...but, he said maybe I will be educated on what I do need.

Edited by Ashley

Take some of the heaviest leather that you will sew with you. Sew seams just like you will be producing. Make sure it will sew what you will be doing.

Best of luck.

Do you know anything about this model? Could you suggest something else that is new within my price range? I trust you guys over all the people I called at the stores, because you actually work with leather. The people at the stores just guessed their top of the line (of course) would work on leather. I don't believe a word. So, any help will be great!

I was looking at the RELIABLE Portable Walking Foot Zig-Zag Sewing Machine - 2000U-33 Reliable 2000U-33

- I found a 10% coupon code so it would be another $49 off with free shipping

What's the difference between that and this? Feiyue USA FS288

and I was looking at this:

Artisan

any of these??? Industrial Sewing Machines

:whatdoyouthink:

Edited by Ashley

Hi Ashley,

What's the difference between that and this? Feiyue USA FS288

They're the same machine and Sailrite has the same machine under their name. Sailrite says they do some tweaking and setup on their machine that makes it run better. How much tweaking can they do for 3 times the price???? Salirite LSZ-1

Send Ed (esantoro) a message, he has the FS288. I have the straight stitch version and it has the Consew name on it (CP206R), considerably less $$$ than the Sailrite version. The good thing about them is they all work ok (so far with mine and eds machines) with the accessories from Sailrite. One "must have" accessory is the Monster Wheel, it's a 7 lb flywheel that gives the machine an enormous boost in sewing power. My Consew works just fine with veg tanned leather up to a little over 3/8 in thick (especially since I put the Monster Wheel on it). I'm using size 138 thread for notebook covers and such. One other thing to buy if you get that series machine is the Sailrite DVDs on setup/sewing and repair/maintenance on the LSZ-1, two videos at $19.95 each. They are well worth the money. You can get leather needles from Artisan, they are 135X16 size.

One thing I found out quickly when I started searching for my machines, is that you will find one type of machine will be sold under several different names. Seems to be very common with sewing machines. Hope this helps. Art should be along soon to give you more info, he has an incredible amount of knowledge about sewing machines. If you decide to go with the FS288 email me and I'll go over a modification I had to make to my Consew to use the Monster Wheel.

John

gunfighter48@comcast.net

John

It looks like that is the route I am going to take. I would rather have a new machine than an old one. Where do you get the Monster Wheel and for how much? I'm trying to find the extension table for the FS288 as that is one of the differences between that and the Reliable 2000U33 (that and the bottom).

http://www.acesewvac.com/yam604u-hc.html ????

Edited by Ashley

The link you have in your post is the Monster Wheel and it's $20.00 cheaper than Sailrite. Here's a link to the Sailrite page for the Monster Wheel, it's got a couple of videos you can watch. Forgot to mention that the presser feet for the Sailrite machine will also fit the FS288. Be sure to get ahold of esantoro here on Leatherworker, he uses his to make brief cases and can give you some good info.

Monster Wheel

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Ok, so I bought the FS288 and it should be delivered on Thursday.

Questions:

1. What kind of thread should I use that will be durable with handbags?

2. Are there any websites where I can buy the accessories for less than on sailrite?

3. Are the accessories for the LSZ-1 the same as the FS288?

4. What kind of needles are best for leather- 16s?

5. I have a table light, do you think I need the light that attaches to the machine?

6. Does the Binder Swing Away Bracket 3/4" work on the FS288? Binder Swing Away Bracket

7. Can I use leather with the Binder Bracket - leather being the binder?

8. What DVDs did you recommend John? I can't find them on sailrite.com.

9. These are the accessories I am thinking about getting- good, not necessary, or am I missing something?

Swing Gauge - Sewing Fence, Leather presser foot, Baby Lock Light, Left Zipper Presser Foot, Monster II Balance Wheel, Binder 3/4" Swing Bracket

10. Will these feet work on the FS288? http://www.creativefeet.com/

Thank you in advance!

Ashley

Edited by Ashley

Questions:

1. What kind of thread should I use that will be durable with handbags?

2. Are there any websites where I can buy the accessories for less than on sailrite?

3. Are the accessories for the LSZ-1 the same as the FS288?

4. What kind of needles are best for leather- 16s?

5. I have a table light, do you think I need the light that attaches to the machine?

6. Does the Binder Swing Away Bracket 3/4" work on the FS288? Binder Swing Away Bracket

7. Can I use leather with the Binder Bracket - leather being the binder?

8. What DVDs did you recommend John? I can't find them on sailrite.com.

9. These are the accessories I am thinking about getting- good, not necessary, or am I missing something?

Swing Gauge - Sewing Fence, Leather presser foot, Baby Lock Light, Left Zipper Presser Foot, Monster II Balance Wheel, Binder 3/4" Swing Bracket

10. Will these feet work on the FS288? http://www.creativefeet.com/

Thank you in advance!

Ashley

1. Can't help you on this one as I don't do handbags. I'm using 138 bonded nylon on my book covers and it seems to work just right. I will probably use 69 or 92 size thread for wallets and such. I use bonded polyester on my holsters and gun belts as it's supposed to resist sun light and moisture better than nylon.

2. I have been looking for another website where I can find accessories and haven't found any other than Sailrite.

3. As far as I can tell the accessories for the Sailrite will fit your machine. But all I have purchased is the leather presser feet and edge guide.

4. Artisan has the 135X16 leather needles for your machine and at a good price. The folks at Artisan are great to deal with.

5. Artisan sells a LED light that has a magnet on the back side that is "The Best Light" that I have seen for sewing machines. It sticks to the bottom/side of the machine right by the needle bar and puts plenty of light right where you need it. Since it's magnetic you can move it to wherever you want it. I have one on each of my machines. They should last a lifetime and the best thing is they don't put off any heat. No more burns from touching a hot lamp, that's a great thing!!!!!!!!

Here's the link to the Artisan site. Artisan LED Light

6. Give them a call and ask but I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine on your machine.

7. Can't help you on this one but I was wondering also, if you could use 2-3 oz leather as the binder. Sailrite sells upholstery leather for makeing seats and such, give them a call. Let us know if you try it.

8. Here's a link to the DVDs. The maintenance DVD is well worth the money. It shows how to adjust and replace every part on the machine. It also shows you how to set the timing on the machine. The Setup DVD was worth it to me. But I don't know much about sewing with a machine. Someone who is experienced at home sewing would probably find it pretty simple. It does show how to use many of the accessories that you can get, such as the binder attachment. It also shows how to lube the machine. But that's pretty easy, just lube all metat to metal wear points. Sailrite DVDs You'll want the Ultrafeed Advanced Maintenance and possibly the Ultrafeed Setup and Use DVD.

9. Looks good to me but I'm a nooby at sewing machines. I am going to get 2 more leather presser feet for my Consew. Then I'll cut them so I'll have a stock foot, a left and a right foot. But you may not need a seperate left and right foot. I'm cutting them so I can get the needle extremely close to the edge of the work and still use the edge guide.

10. I'd give them a call and ask if they will fit your machine. When in doubt just call and ask.

Hope this helps, I know how bewildering it can be setting up your first leather machine. Been there and am still there sometimes but the folks hear at Leatherworker.net will give you their best info. Great bunch of folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Yippee! Got shipping confirmation that it will be delivered on Tuesday next week. Hoping it's sooner though! I am going to wait until I get the machine to buy any accessories. I'll keep you posted :specool:

Edited by Ashley

I received my machine today. I have only sewn on a home machine and this is definitely new to me. The manual that comes with it is so vague. I am having a hard time threading it. Please help!

Do I use #69 thread for handbags and wallets?

Do I use 135x16 size 16, 18, 20, or 22?

Edited by Ashley

I emailed you a Sailrite manual that should be a great help. Let me know if you got it ok.

John

What kind of universal presser feet will work on this machine? Can i use the same thread for the bobbin? Also, the bobbin winder post is crooked and as a result my bobbin is not winding evenly. Any suggestions?

Edited by Ashley

Also, the bobbin winder post is crooked and as a result my bobbin is not winding evenly. Any suggestions?

Look at the bobbin tensioner, the spring loaded butten that you wrap the thread around, there should be a screw on the front side of the machine that you can loosen. Loosen the screw slightly and you can raise and lower the bobbin tensioner. Using that adjustment will get the thread at the right height to wind evenly on the bobbin.

John

Look at the bobbin tensioner, the spring loaded butten that you wrap the thread around, there should be a screw on the front side of the machine that you can loosen. Loosen the screw slightly and you can raise and lower the bobbin tensioner. Using that adjustment will get the thread at the right height to wind evenly on the bobbin.

John

Tried it and it still doesn't work. I am wasting a lot of thread trying to figure this out. I posted another thread because this title isn't accurate.

You'll never guess what I did? :whatdoyouthink:

I'll bite, what did you do????????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!

John

You'll never guess what I did? :whatdoyouthink:

Soooo...what did you do??