Mungo

Oiling A Finished Product?

Does a leather item need any type of oil or preservative once it has been dyed and had finish applied? It seems like the finish would block any further treatments.

Hey mungo, i am newish to leatherwork, but i believe you would normally add oil to a piece after dyeing but before adding finish. I think it helps when leather has dried out due to the dyeing process.

Edited by JAZZMAN

What Jazzman said is correct depending on what the final finish was used. Some people oil before they dye, most that I know including myself oil after dying and before finishing. The dye tends to draw out some of the nutrients in the leather and leaves the leather stiffer. The oiling puts some of those nutrients back in the leather. The finish is designed to seal the leather to help protect it from moisture and staining. The finish/sealer will hinder the absorption of oil, especially acrylic finishes. However with use and exposure to elements etc. leather can dry out and should have an application of conditioner from time to time. it is a good idea to apply a leather conditioner from time to time.

Edited by camano ridge

I would like to know this as well..

I have read oil it before dyeing, also read some do it after dyeing, unsure if it is oiled after finish. Conditioner is after finish?

As with everything its a matter of preference. I think if you add something like aussie or anything that isn't an oil before dyeing that will block the dye from setting in. Someone who has experience with this first hand would know better.

Asking what is best is one of those ongoing discussions with everyone having an opinion. There are many out there Aussie Leather Cream, Dr. Jacksons Leather Rejuvenator, Montana pitch blend, Skidmores Leather cream. Some can also be used as finishes. My preference is Skidmores leather cream. It is all natural using bees wax and natural oils, no petroleum products.

http://www.unicornleather.co.uk/leather_conditioning_and_cleaning.html

Have a read, ALWAYS find out what is in your conditioner BEFORE you use it, several horses have reacted to Effax and Car,Day & Martin products which contain a variety of mineral oils,spirits and chemicals not designed to be in contact with human or horse's skin.

Edited by unicornleather

Has anyone found that neatsfoot oil before dying or even after darkens your dye effect considerably? I had a nice quiver that I made with a nice Fiebings British Tan finish, I used the neatsfoot and it turned considerably darker, kind of it ruined my piece color wise.

Yes, Neatsfoot will darken your leather. One important thing when using Neats Foot is once it is applied let the oil sit and migrate through the leather at least 24 hours before doing anything else. As the oil migrates through the leather it will even out and lighten up some. I often use just the oil and then tan it in the sun to get nice color without dying. Always put the Neats foot on in light coats. I just do what i call finger tip applications very light coat and let sit .

Don't use neatsfoot, explanation is in the link in my above post

Unicorn leather, what keeps the natural treatment you described from going rancid? You live in the UK? I live in Dixie, the U.S. South, where we have high humidity and high temperatures. Thanks.

Unicorn leather, what keeps the natural treatment you described from going rancid? You live in the UK? I live in Dixie, the U.S. South, where we have high humidity and high temperatures. Thanks.

Good question I am often asked here as well.

The fats used have been treated with fairly high temperatures, this seems to change it's chemical structure and it doesn't go rancid.

I have had it in my workshop which is a wooden structure and in the Summer it does get hot, I have never had any go off or rancid even after 2 years.

If you are worried just shove it in your fridge, sorted !

:)