chriscraft

Opaque Projector For Transfering Patterns?

I know the typical or preferred method to transfer patterns onto leather is using a stylus and a sheet of your favorite thin clear plastic/mylar stuff. That's what I am currently using and its been the most cost efficient way. I was wondering if anyone here uses a projector to transfer your image/line drawing directly on leather to be tooled.

When I used to have an airbrush shop, we used to project muscle cars at car shows directly on the t-shirts and trace the image with a light marking pencil. Then we would add color with the airbrush and be done with it. It was a faster way to get the job done vs. taking 30+ minutes just to hand draw the image. By using a projector, this saved us time and we were able to make more cash by having a faster turn around on site.

I still have my Artograph Super Prism Opaque projector stored away and I am thinking this might be an easier way to layout the transferred image/drawing onto leather as it allows you to instantly size the drawing to the project on hand. Even If the image is already actual size (less than 7 inches) you can still project it the correct size. I'm no longer airbrushing and working with larger than life wall murals but I know these projectors were also used by illustrators mounted on drafting tables that had average work no larger than 11"x14". What I like about this, one can project actual photographs of your previous work and scale it to size on the new project.

Just need to dig up my projector and get a table top vertical stand for it. All I ever had was the horizontal stand for my projector. I recall my projector came with the table top reduction lens and this lens remained new in the box.

Edited by chriscraft

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! When I was in school they had one of those and it was a high tech gadget at the time. Well, it was 1973 whend I used it to scale up a drawing I made for a P-39 Airacobra so I could make a flying model with balsa wood. By golly, it worked like a charm.

You might be on to something.

Jim

I haven't used one in ages, but with the correct lenses and setup, there's no reason why it would not work. For that matter, a computer video projector would do much the same thing using computer images .. again, given the right lenses and setup! Great idea.

Bill

Like mentioned, Opaque color projectors is not new technology and has been around for sometime. Those new HD digital art projectors made for artwork would be ideal if I didn't already own my Super Prism projector. I purchased mine new back when they were introduced almost 20 years ago. It still holds its value and has not come down in price. Those New HD LED artist digital projectors come with a hefty $1000+ price tag but just imaging what one can do with these new gadgets. One could store all your paterns in your PC and with the click of a tab, be ready to transfer your image.

For now I'm still stuck in the 1990's with my now old model color projector. I'm fabricating a heavy duty overhead bracket that will be mounted over my work table to mount my projector. It will retract when not in use. I will post some pics when its done.

Edited by chriscraft

One of the reasons I thought of this was due to my images not being as crisp after being transferred using the thin clear sheet. One could argue that I'm not using the correct Al Stohlman method and maybe the wrong stylus tool. Your still applying pressure with your stylus through a thin sheet that is spreading that pressure over a wider area (clear sheet). It works but could be improved on.
Also, when re using the same clear transfer sheet to apply the same pattern on another project. It's hard to tell if you already went over the line that already has a crease from the last use.
My test: I have been getting great results when I freehand my design with only the stylus. It leaves a clean crisp line that I now can follow with the swivel knife and not be confused if its a line to be cut or a natural mark on the leather.
I have a strong feeling using an overhead mounted color projector for leatherwork will work great. I've used one for many years on other projects with great results. To check your work and see if all the lines were transferred you just turn off the projector and see your transferred image. If you missed a line, just turn it back on and trace that line. All without moving your work.

Edited by chriscraft

Chriscraft .. You realize, of course, that this now means that you will need to post a series of pictures of the entire process from initial artwork through projection and transfer to completed item. Right? :spoton:

Bill

SO I dug up my projector that had been sitting dormant for some time. From all the years of use and transporting it to various jobs, I managed to loose a few clips and parts. They still make this same model and I was able to order the missing parts directly from the company so I will get them in the mail soon.

My work space is located in the basement of my home. I have exposed overhead rafters to secure the mounting plate I will be making. Instead of fabricating a new telescoping bracket for this project, I am using one that I already have that has good pivot arms. The .250 aluminum plate pictured will used to mount the projector on, this aluminum plate will then be bolted to the telescoping bracket.

The line drawing isn't to scale but represents the mounting bracket and work table. I have already mocked up and projected a few images and this telescoping height will be a good distance for the size lens I have. I can reduce a photo image down to 1 inch and enlarge it up to 16 inches. This will be a good working size for my current leatherwork. If I need to enlarge an image greater than this size, I can always move the work table and use the floor to enlarge my image up to 42".

post-38453-0-93678200-1425758381_thumb.j

post-38453-0-53847000-1425758384_thumb.j

Wow, talk about speedy service. I ordered my projector parts Thursday afternoon and they arrived today. After installing my few missing parts my Super Prism projector is as good as new.

A quick test run shows this Tandy catalog small photo insert of a stamped belt. The photo image of this belt is 3/4" wide and I was able to enlarge it to scale on this 1 3/4" belt blank. The picture looks grainy from the dark photo but the enlarged projected image is clear and can now be easily transferred with a stylus directly on the leather project.

One would need to use images or pattern designs that are flat. Pictures taken from directly above the item so the image is not skewed and is projected square on your leather project.

post-38453-0-58984900-1425764691_thumb.j

post-38453-0-21410900-1425764695_thumb.j

I bought one about 20 years ago when an art school still have it but if I've used it a dozen times that would be a generous statement. I have always found it to be most effective at transferring a photograph, kind of like an aid to making a sketch or a under painting. It's also great if you want to scale an image, especially if you want to project a smaller image onto a larger one bigger than your computer printer can handle. I think the tool would work fine my holdup is that taking things like that out of the closet setting them up to use always seems to be more trouble than it's worth, maybe I'm just a little lazy?
Two thing I've done for transferring patterns that you might find useful for creating a finer line? 1: I trace over the backside of the transfer sheet (I used to use very thin paper here) with a "red copy pencil" also called a "indelible pencil". These types of pencil turn into an ink mark when they get wet, I use red because it basically disappears and blends into the leather after carving or stamping, finishing ext.. I then place the paper on top of a damp piece of leather and simply rub the top side with a damp sponge, it's kind of like transferring a tattoo, that's where I got the idea from.
2) very similar to the first method but this time I use Thin velum paper as it's somewhat waterproof and easier to trace/draw on then plastic transparency mylar sheets...and it's thinner thus avoiding as much of the widening of the transfer pattern when using the stylus tool. I still dampen the leather and then press the transfer sheet to it, avoiding air bubbles if possible. To trace over the top side I use a sharp pencil or Barry kings " small long stylus" The lighter you press the center your transfer lines will be with either of these methods.

I agree that with these tools, it's a small chore to set them up when needed. That's the reason I am building a permanent station and this projector tool will always be ready to go as needed. I understand some tools are not intended for everyday use or every project. My current shop is located in my basement so it can get very dark with out lights, great for being used as a dark room.

Ever since I've been drawing, I have always found that having more than one way to get something done has worked well for me. Having to just rely on simply one way might get me in a bind if that method would ever fail.

I will also try out using velum, onion leaf and other papers you mentioned as I already have access to these that are stored away in my drafting cabinet.

I made a quick test run using the photo projector on a scrap piece of veg tan leather. Used an image from a beer label to show how quickly one can set this up.

post-38453-0-98393700-1425842962_thumb.j

post-38453-0-25690900-1425842965_thumb.j

post-38453-0-16812200-1425842968_thumb.j

post-38453-0-66946200-1425842970_thumb.j

Some people think that using a projector as an art tool is considered cheating or not really drawing at all. Since one is not taking the time to layout your design by hand and making this a speed way of producing art. I guess it all depends on how one uses this tool. I for one use it as a guide and don't always follow and copy every line. That was the way I used my projector when I used to airbrush. I was never taught how to properly use this tool. Well, I was never really taught how to use an airbrush or pencil, pen, paint brush, pastels, charcoals, prismacolors, acrylics and even this swivel knife. I just picked them up one day and started doing it.

Tools are designed to save you time and making you get to the fun part faster. Chris

post-38453-0-33148600-1425854743_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

okay billybopp, this was a quick demonstration on using an opaque projector. Originally I was just going to dye and antique this test piece but decided to add color instead. I had applied more cuts for the purpose of using the antique paste on this test piece than if I had planned ahead to just paint. I only had access to my paint brushes so that's what I used to apply the Angelus acrylic leather paint. I know I have some nice illustration quality airbrushes stored away that I need to find to blend and fade colors easier than just using a paint brush. It worked out okay for this test but could have been better with the right tools. This demo also shows you that one needs to plan your cuts ahead as too many may be a bit too much. But that's another chapter in laying out your design for tooling.

I still need to have a metal plate welded to my bracket so I can finish my over head mounting plate.

post-38453-0-94090600-1426015492_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

As you can see, when using a projector as a tool, one doesn't have to copy every line. If you compare my finished example you can see that I changed the background layout and added some other detail to the yellow fin tuna design originally taken from the beer label. This is how I use the projector and still have artistic freedom to create vs. copy. Chris

post-38453-0-48127800-1426030384_thumb.j

That really looks awesome, Chriscraft! Thanks for the demo. You've really come across a good idea.

I don't think using tools as these is cheating at all. There is some evidence that Vermeer, and other renaissance artists used camera obscura to draft their works before painting. I say, good enough for the old masters, good enough for us too!

Bill

I had never opened my projector before today. It needed to be opened as I was not using the correct factory table top mount and had to drill out a few mounting holes. I also took this time to clean the cob webs out and dust that had accumulated over the years.

post-38453-0-85979600-1426282427_thumb.j

post-38453-0-75441900-1426282428_thumb.j

post-38453-0-48369500-1426282429_thumb.j

This color photo projector in nothing more than a box, lights and a mirror. This unit has a built in fan to help cool of heat the 500 watt bulbs produce. I like the way this .250 aluminum plate worked out as a mounting bracket.

post-38453-0-39146700-1426282496_thumb.j

post-38453-0-39301900-1426282497_thumb.j

post-38453-0-17143300-1426282498_thumb.j

post-38453-0-87957100-1426282498_thumb.j

This will now be a great addition to my small leather work shop. Here you can see the enlarged hand drawn lettering fit to the project. I can now draw lettering and original designs on my drafting table and transfer them in a smaller or larger scale faster than before.

post-38453-0-68291800-1426282925_thumb.j

post-38453-0-78715600-1426282926_thumb.j

I took a photo of a trout from a fishing magazine and enlarged it to 10" wide, also reduced it to 4" wide. My table top to celling mounted projector height can scale images anywhere in between 4"-10" to fit my leather projects like a wallet or a book/tablet cover. If I need a smaller size pattern then I will need to use a smaller size image. What I really like about this projector set up is I can hand draw designs in a small comfortable size on paper and then scale them smaller or larger on my leather project.

The cartoon of the red Land Rover D90 is my original drawing that I made in 2006. This Red truck was drawn 5 inches wide using prismacolors and I was now able to project the image and scale it to fit the larger size illustration board. This same method will be used when transferring designs onto my leather projects.

post-38453-0-14281000-1426303549_thumb.j

post-38453-0-17462200-1426303550_thumb.j

post-38453-0-99495300-1426303550_thumb.j

I was showing one of my closest friends my new projector set up. He doesn't not draw or produce any art. He has always known me as a freehand artist. He began to tell me that he has always been amazed at my fine motor function and hand eye coordination. Seen me create designs out of memory and work from photographs to produce photo realistic paintings. I think he was disappointed in some way that I was excited about my new setup. Even though I took time to explain, I knew inside he was not convinced. So I added, in all the years you have known me, how many items have you purchased from me? The answer was, none. So in the end, it doesn't change anything between us.

I have never considered myself true artist. I have produced thousands of freehand drawings that many consider to be works of art. But I've never been paid an artist salary for any art that I've produced. Tracing your own art or a pattern layout is an art form. It takes skill to do it correctly and even more skill to master the use of a pencil or in our world, a swivel knife. I don't think someone would pay us more for our hand tooled leatherwork art if we were to just freehand cut designs without the use of guides such as templates or patterns. If that we're the difference between a $100 item vs. a $1000 leather product then sign me up. I would also hand make all the tools to go along with being a purist. Till that day comes ill just be known as building crafts and be paid craft fees. Chris