I have a request for a bright red business card carrier....it needs to be Christmas RED.....it's for a Santa, so if I don't it right I'll be cut-off for life!

I've seen attempts on cowhide but the result was not what I would call Santa Red....

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You might want to look at some garment leather in very light weight. They come in a variety of colors and Christmas Red should be available. Then laminate it on to a piece of 4 oz veg tan or sandwich a piece of 2/3 oz veg tan between two layers of the bright red stuff and assemble it with bright red lace so the laminated edges arent a problem, or white lace to look really "Christmasy". You could use a stiffener as opposed to the sandwiched veg tan perhaps.

Dying leather it will be hard to achieve satisfactory results for Christmas Red.

Hope that helps,

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Good idea Chief, I'll be exploring that option as well.

Cristmas red i notoriously hard to find, I've tried and only made very small successes.

What I have come up with works for me and my clients. I use the red dye from Angelus and then I start to ad yellow, a little at the time until I'm happy. Almost all red paints and dyes have to much blue in it and the yellow will offset that but beware, you don't want it to get to orange :-).

The only acrylic leather paint I have found that fits the criteria is also by Angelus, their red is just right in my book. This link will take you to the adult section, I made a x-mas paddel using the red acryllic paint...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44149&st=0

Edited by Tina

If you want to start out with veg tan...

Pro Oil dye in red has a yellow tone, stay away from the alcohol or water based fiebings dyes, they are all pink undertones. Apply a good layer or two of Pro Oil dye red and I find that tan kote finish brings out the color but makes it look a bit dark, resolene is a good choice to give it that vividness, or saddle lac. Otherwise, paint on some Angelus red paint, that's about as vivid a red as I've been able to get. Doesn't crack when flexed, and won't fade. Their paints are great on veg tan.

The new stuff at Tandy, their imported alternative to Eco-Flo, has a pretty good red. It's a waterstain, but it's pretty darn red.

Thanks you for all the suggestions.....lot's of research to do. I want to make Santa happy :-)

Just to follow up...I decided to go with red Kids Skin.....Springfield Leather was kind enough to send me samples of red leather they carry....Kid is the guy in the middle.

Thanks again ya'll.!post-4803-0-39999400-1360528374_thumb.jp