Sign in to follow this  
JimDismore

getting started saddlemaking

I severely broke my leg a couple of weeks ago and will not be able to walk for the next 3 months or so. I would like to attempt to build my own wade saddle during this time and maybe keep my sanity by doing so. I have no experience but am very handy and am going to purchase Jeremiah Watt's DVD (thanks to the reviews on this forum). Can anyone recommend a tree manufacturer from whom I might purchase a quality tree and not have to wait several months? Does anyone have a 16-16.5" wade tree that they would consider selling? Great forum guys (and gals) and I can see that there will be a lot of information here that will greatly benefit a rookie like me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Jim

I severely broke my leg a couple of weeks ago and will not be able to walk for the next 3 months or so. I would like to attempt to build my own wade saddle during this time and maybe keep my sanity by doing so. I have no experience but am very handy and am going to purchase Jeremiah Watt's DVD (thanks to the reviews on this forum). Can anyone recommend a tree manufacturer from whom I might purchase a quality tree and not have to wait several months? Does anyone have a 16-16.5" wade tree that they would consider selling? Great forum guys (and gals) and I can see that there will be a lot of information here that will greatly benefit a rookie like me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Jim

Batie's Custom Saddle Trees usually has some stock trees on hand. I always get the AAA tree that are wraped in rawhide and sewn and nailed. 918-788-3686. They are in Welch Ok.

I would also reccomend the Bill Gomer Video as an excellet guide.

RC

Thanks a lot Randy. I will give Batie's a call. I did a little looking online for the Gomer video with no luck. Any idea where I might find a copy? Thanks again for the help, Jim

Gomer's video is listed in Hide Crafter's catalog. 888-263-5277

Thanks a lot Randy. I will give Batie's a call. I did a little looking online for the Gomer video with no luck. Any idea where I might find a copy? Thanks again for the help, Jim

In the Marketplace forum on this site, one of our members has a 16.5 inch Wade tree for sale, made by Superior. Might take a look. Depends on how high quality of a tree you desire, but I think I remember some have said on this board to contact Sheridan Leather Outfitters, as they stock a few of the better makers' trees. Look at a few of the saddle tree threads within the last month or so, lots of good info there.

Thanks everyone for the help and the advice. I really appreciate it. I guess I will go with a Bowden or Timberline tree. Based upon what I have read on this forum they seem to be the best of the produciton trees.