Kymberly

New To Leather Working!

Hi all,

I just posted in another thread but perhaps this is the best place for a new member to get to know others! :-)

I started working with leather about six months ago. I started by taking a boot making course at the London School of Fashion. I really enjoyed it and decided to experiment and try making other things. At the moment I'm working on ladies handbags. I have been using an old 201k singer sewing machine for some of the projects which is great. I'd never sewed before so that's also been a big learning curve for me.

I'm trying to change careers. I've always been creative (painting, design, music, etc) but my main job was working in an office. I want to get away from the computer and spend most of my time working and creating. Hoping to get good enough to sell some pieces one day. :-))

Here's some of my work:

post-58453-0-57037700-1421401198_thumb.jpost-58453-0-68850900-1421401205_thumb.jpost-58453-0-88950200-1421401213_thumb.jpost-58453-0-47310900-1421401233_thumb.jpost-58453-0-00138900-1421401245_thumb.jpost-58453-0-61318600-1421401269_thumb.j

Those boots are excellent !! It looks like you are getting on well with the singer, good choice of machine. I usually hand stich but it is time consuming which adds to the price of the item which sometimes is not appreciated.

Nice! Seems like you're already there!

Those boots are excellent !! It looks like you are getting on well with the singer, good choice of machine. I usually hand stich but it is time consuming which adds to the price of the item which sometimes is not appreciated.

Thanks Pkay! It was challenging making the boots but it was in a classroom setting so I was able to ask the instructor questions - this helped a lot! I also had use of the large more industrial machines. All the other projects have been sewn using my sewing and also by hand (because some of the sections of the bag were so thick!). I just want to get good enough to feel confident about selling items.

Nice! Seems like you're already there!

Thanks for the positive comment Monica. I've been making lots of little mistakes as I go a long. Like the leather I'm using for the bags is way to thick and a nightmare to work with (for the type of bags I'm making). I started using polyester thread which kept breaking but have switched to nylon now which works like a dream. :-))

It looks like you have done a bang up job on everything. The boots are marvelous, for a first pair. Could I do that well, I doubt it. The bag looks good but it also looks heavy, The bike seat is very nice. You are well on the way for only been doing this for six months. It is tough being a creative person in a mundane and non stimulating job. I did those for many years. Keep on going.

If you go at this properly it is a continuous learning curve, it never stops. When I started selling I can remember showing customers scratches and stitching problems which I was so aware of but they would never have seen. Later I just learnt from what I saw and improved. Just keep at it !!

It looks like you have done a bang up job on everything. The boots are marvelous, for a first pair. Could I do that well, I doubt it. The bag looks good but it also looks heavy, The bike seat is very nice. You are well on the way for only been doing this for six months. It is tough being a creative person in a mundane and non stimulating job. I did those for many years. Keep on going.

Thanks leatherwytch! :-)

Did you manage to free yourself from the mundane job by working with leather?? My daughter is going to test the bag out and let me know if it's ok. Next time, I will use thinner leather as it was a nightmare to finish I have to say!!

By the way, I lived in Calgary for a number of years. :-))

If you go at this properly it is a continuous learning curve, it never stops. When I started selling I can remember showing customers scratches and stitching problems which I was so aware of but they would never have seen. Later I just learnt from what I saw and improved. Just keep at it !!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll need to start selling some things soon as I can't afford to keep buying the leather and getting nothing back. I'm just not sure when I'll be good enough. I'll definitely keep at it. :-))

You may never realize it when you are good enough. Judge by reaction of others when they see your work. I have thrown some things aside as ruined, only to have them picked up and purchased by someone, you never know.

Thanks leatherwytch! :-)

Did you manage to free yourself from the mundane job by working with leather?? My daughter is going to test the bag out and let me know if it's ok. Next time, I will use thinner leather as it was a nightmare to finish I have to say!!

By the way, I lived in Calgary for a number of years. :-))

I did, I now work for me. I don't get the great pay I used to, or be able to take all the marvelous trips. I am happier, now if I talk to whining customers they are mine. If they bitch about prices they can move on, I am not that desperate to disrespect my work or put up with their BS.

I am sure Calgary is way more expensive than you remember it. I have been here for pretty well forever and if I get a chance to escape to a warmer climate or BC I am going..

Thanks all! It's great to have the support.

I just realised that a lot of the messages/responses from here have gone into my junk folder!! So, sorry if I've not responded to a questions etc.

I've been working on a lot of things since I posted last. I finally have a blog up etc. I've been doing a lot of machine sewing but am now trying to do more hand stitching. I just need to get my head around all the different sized needles and thread... so much to learn!!

https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com

https://www.facebook.com/KymberlySteelBags?ref=hl