Carrieanna1172

Thread Is Shredding Help!

Anyone hazard a guess as to why my thread is shredding?

I have changed thread sizes loosened the tension? Tightened it back up

It happened the first time with some thread I bought from tandy thought maybe it was the wrong or not bonded kind so I changed back to the thread I purchased with the machine

It appeared to be happening at the upper tension disk at first but now it looks like it is happening at the needle?

Very frustrating ? I am sewing about 5 oz oil tan (called Kodak) leather the majority is double thickness as much as 4 layers? Not that this matters it tends to happen at just 2 layers?

a size 18 needle

You didn't say what size your thread is. First, you should make sure the thread is the correct size for the needle or vice versa.

ferg

One was by 69 from Tandy and

This one now is 92

I'm not much more talented with a sewing machine than I am with a computer, so this may not be the best advice you get, but the first (cheap) trick I'd try is just replacing the needle. If it still frays, you might check the point of the shuttle hook to make sure there are no burrs. In my case it's an "old dog - new trick" kind of thing, but my Cobra 4 is teaching me all sorts of new stuff. Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike gave you some good advice. Since you have the issue with different spools, it's likely NOT the thread (though not a guarantee there yet). So, if not the thread, change the needle. If not the needle, check the hook for 'boogers' (or cleanliness - sometimes just a build up of "fluff' from the thread).

One more issue, a #18 needle might be pushing it with 92 thread (though certainly fine for the 69 thread).

I have a short ( a few seconds ) video showing the hook / bobbin area on a cobra. Reason I mention it here, it shows (slowly) the action in there. You can see, then, that the top (needle) thread drops below (around) the hook to form the stitch. As Mike says, a 'booger' on the hook assembly can nick the thread -- and then when the take-up lever pulls it back up it APPEARS that the damage is being done at the needle (which, it isn't always).

Long-winded, maybe I should just show the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7MVSikaYEk

All good advice I put the bigger thread in hoping it would help because it had never happened until I used that smaller Tandy thread

Anyway apparently it was not the thread

I changed the needle and I will put in a new spool of thread in the 69

I also cleaned all the little spots and places the thread runs through

Hope this help !

Thanks for the advice

When I had shredding it came from the shuttle hook. I removed and buffed the point with green rouge on a soft buffing wheel. Reinstalled and shredding was gone. If doesn't take much of a burr to cause shredding.

The only time I experienced some shedding, I didn't have the needle perfectly aligned it was close. I made a tool that fits in the eye and then I can tell if it's perfectly aligned.

Chief

I fixed it by turning the needle a tiny bit

And I cleaned the bobbin area really good but I think on this machine it has to have the needle turned

With the eye slightly towards me also to pick up the bobbin thread correctly

Anyway it is working perfectly now

Thanks

Good idea on the tool, Chief! (No surprise. :spoton:)

Can you describe it or sow us a picture?

Thanks (again),

Michelle

Good idea on the tool, Chief! (No surprise. :spoton:)

Can you describe it or sow us a picture?

Thanks (again),

Michelle

Michelle,

I found a "jeweler's Flat Tip screw driver" that fits the eye really snug without damaging the eye. I insert the blade in the eye lightly then turn the end of the screw driver until it is perfectly aligned. I would rather find a plastic one and have been on the lookout, any thing with a flat surface the size of the eye and with an end you can use as an indicator and to adjust as necessary, hope that helps, if I get a chance in the next couple of days, I'll take a picture of it.

Thanks,

Chief