Sign in to follow this  
Patdf

This is my first figure carving

Hello all,

As a recently new member here and new to carving, about seven pieces I'm going to try to send a picture over and I'd to get some constructive advice on improving my work. This is my first figure carving I completed last night.

Thank you,

PatPICT1668.JPG

post-5292-1198193172_thumb.jpg

Patdf, IMHO, I think you are doing a great job! For just a few pieces under your belt, that's pretty swell. For such a large expanse of backgrounding, that's pretty clean looking.

With a view straight down, it's hard to pickup the actual depth of the beveling, but it doesn't matter, a little more depth will come with each practice.

Remember, casing is most important, it makes the difference between mushed, and clear.

Patdf.

That's better than my first pieces. It looks real good at this point just more practice and you'll develop your own style and do what your head tells you looks good. Catch some of Robert Beard's DVDs or classes. Jim Linnell does some really good figure carving also and does classes at Tandy sores from time to time.

Happy toolin',

Indy

Thanks for the replies,

I'll send angle view of the same picture, which you will see the beveling and depth better, and let me know how I did. Indy, you mentioned some DVD's by Robert Beard, are they worth getting? I live in Massachusetts and noticed that advanced classes are not available in this area.

Pat

PICT1671.JPG

post-5292-1198196952_thumb.jpg

Looks damn good from North Carolina...lol I used to live on the North Shore in Ma. There were quite a few Tandy stores in the area. You should be able to find figure carving classes from someone left over from them days. I was the asst mgr in the Boston store for awhile, and although the stores may be gone, the people are plentiful. Here's the local to Boston Store:

Tandy Leather #160 BOSTON

Toll Free: 866-771-0003

Manager: Tony Hernandez

83 Parkhurst Rd, Unit 9 Chelmsford, MA 01824

boston@tandyleather.com

View Map

978-275-0596 fax: 978-275-0929

Hi RDB,

I'm from the North Shore also, Everett. I frequent the Tandy store in Chelmsford, it's my primary resource for the leather and tools. I have taken classes from that store also and know Tony. He's sends out notices for classes and I think he's given in to have a figure carving class since I asked him everytime I see him.

Regards,

Pat

Robert's DVDs are always worth it. He is very exacting with his words, nothing like in person, but his scenery is really good basics to learn. He has one called "Carving the Rocky Mountain Elk" that is excellent for figure carving

Check with the Tandy store that was referred earlier with the 800 number and see if Jim will be coming to their store soon. They might even create a class if there is enough interest. If not them call the store HQ in Ft. Worth on 820 and speak with him personally.

Plan on checking out the IFoLG in Columbus, OH October of 2008 and see who is on the class agenda.

Indy