Sixer

Colored Thread For Hand Sewing?

Does anyone know where I can find waxed thread for sewing holsters and accessories in colors other than the normal black, brown, and nuetral?

I have a customer who would like a black holster with red stitching... It would also be nice to have a larger variety of colors to offer for other items such as collars, cuffs, and everything else.

Thanks in advance! :)

Does anyone know where I can find waxed thread for sewing holsters and accessories in colors other than the normal black, brown, and nuetral?

I have a customer who would like a black holster with red stitching... It would also be nice to have a larger variety of colors to offer for other items such as collars, cuffs, and everything else.

Thanks in advance! :)

I like the waxed cord from here:

http://www.mainethread.com/Improved_Waxed_Cord.html

I emailed them and they sent me a sample card with the different colors and sizes. I seem to like the .035 and .040 for smaller items.

I would recommend getting some of this stuff in which ever thickness you want. Great thread the barbours linen. http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=linen

You can then use your leather dye or which ever dye you want and dye it to whatever color you like. Ofcourse you will have to wax the thread yourself which is not that hard. I like it much better this way because you can control how much you put on there. Another recommendation is get adventurous get some rosin, bees wax, and paraffin wax and make a mix by melting them all down together. I think some oil also into the mix. This will make a nice grabby thread that will be a bear to take apart and really enjoyable to stitch with.

That is what I do anyways.

What sort of thread do you prefer for Nylon I use C-Lon Tex 400 available here http://www.store.jew...ylonclc400.html it needs to be waxed but comes in lots of pretty colours it also comes in a lighter weight which I've used for watch straps etc. White nylon can also be dyed with leather dye and waxed afterwards if you only need a small bit of a certain colour.

I also use a thread called Zircon (polyester not sure if it's available outside of Australia though) that comes in black, brown, yellow & white but the white can be dyed and waxed afterwards.

The Thread Exchange sells thread in different colours and they usually have a good selection of polyesters and nylons.

For linen http://www.royalwood.../cat14-17ar.htm or like Mad Max wrote get the Cambell Bosworth Barbour linen and dye & wax it yourself (I also do this at times when someone wants traditional thread).

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem

Thanks for the suggestions!

Since I don't really have the extra time right now to dye and wax my own thread, I gave the good folks at www.MarineThread.com a call.

I talked to Ron, who was EXTREMELY helpful. Instead of placing an order and possibly paying for something I couldn't use... He is sending me a color / size sample of thier waxed thread, ALONG WITH a work size sample (approx 3yds) of the thread I had intended to order.

I thought that was pretty cool! That's how you earn someone's business! If all goes well, I know where I will be getting my thread from now on. :)

They sent me the samples of their thread also. Nice stuff. I just ordered a couple of spools. They seem to be very interested in their customers something that is getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Since I don't really have the extra time right now to dye and wax my own thread, I gave the good folks at www.MarineThread.com a call.

I talked to Ron, who was EXTREMELY helpful. Instead of placing an order and possibly paying for something I couldn't use... He is sending me a color / size sample of thier waxed thread, ALONG WITH a work size sample (approx 3yds) of the thread I had intended to order.

I thought that was pretty cool! That's how you earn someone's business! If all goes well, I know where I will be getting my thread from now on. :)

MarineThread seems to be a dead link for me, but I found Maine Thread

CTG

MarineThread seems to be a dead link for me, but I found Maine Thread

CTG

Whoops...where did that "R" come from !? Yes... Maine Thread is what I meant. :)

Edited by Sixer