Sign in to follow this  
swivel knife

Black Belt With White Letters

hello,

i have to make a black belt with inverted carved white letters on it.

my question:

how I have to dye that belt? shuld I first make the letters with eco flow acryl white and the the rest with black sprit dye black?

I just have a black sprit dye and white acryl dye.

It's possible to dye acryl white over vinegroon black?

ciao Lutz

oh sorry I'm on the wrong part of the forum mybe the administrator can move it.

I wouldn't try the white over black, if it were me, I would paint the recessed letters white with acrylic paint (I've never had much luck with white dye), protect them with a resist just to be safe, then block dye the black belt.

Chief

i tryed a smal peace of scrap leather and colored it withvinegroon. now I wait until drying and then I will check the white acryl paint...

ciao lutz

I have dyed projects all black and then done white accylic over top. It has worked but it's the lazy way. The alternative is being really, really careful to make sure the black doesn't get onto the white area. If the white area is partially black and the rest tan leather color, it tends to show through the paint. If that happens you are almost better just making it all black, letting it dry and then painting white accylic on top. It really depends on your paints though and you might have to experiment.

You basically can't use white dye over black dye. You'd actually have to use white accrylic paint. I figured it would just crack or flake off but I've had good results. The accylic paint does soak into the leather but it is more suseptible to scratches. If you've got a steady hand and good brushes, painting the dyes separately is probably the safest way. It's when you make a mistake that you might turn to the accylic paints. I didn't try them until I destroyed a scabbard (I grabbed the wrong dobber and when to town black instead of tan.)

Mark Charke

white dye will work over vinagroon......as it will not bleed.....being that it is a light color over a dark color it may take several coats to cover .... but it will work...................................ask me how I know!!

Vinegroon is a treatment that changes the leather chemically.....................it is not a dye!!!

If you were going to use dye instead of vinegroon.....................disregard what I said and listen to the other guys because that is correct for dyed work

Chief pretty much hit it on the head. If you have white Cova Color (or other acrylic paint) apply that to the lettering areas and let dry completely. Once it is dried, apply several coats (at least 3, 5 max) of your resist sealer (acrylic resolene or Eco-Flo Super Shene), let each coat dry at least 2 hours before applying the next. Once all coats have been applied, let it sit overnight to dry and oxidize. Finally, block dye your main belt area with the black finish and there you go.

Try it on a scrap piece first and see what you think.