Sign in to follow this  
SmokinP

how do you order clicker dies?

When ordering clicker dies, how do you provide the maker with the shape/specs you need? Do they need a rather detailed drawing/sketch?

Do the die makers have an inventory of standard dies for common pieces such as spur straps, latigo/cinch holders, etc?

What might be a price range for something like spur strap dies?

What type of maintenance do the dies require as far as sharpening?

Are the dies cut from solid tool steel or formed from strip steel?

When I order from Texas Custom, I just email them a PDF or JPG file with a drawing of the shape I want. It's a good idea to annotate the drawing with dimension lines and measurements. With a PDF, that usually is not necessary, because a PDF will print out the drawing in actual size. Not the case with a JPG, but I include them in any case.

It's hard to say what the price would be for a specific item, but they start at around $30 for a small, simple one, and it goes up with size and complexity. The best way to find out is just to send them the specifications for your die, and ask for a quote.

The dies may require resharpening after a lot of use; the company recommends I send them back to them for that.

The dies I have are formed from strips, not milled. After checking out several companies, most of them make clicker dies this way, and some of them call them "steel rule dies".

Hope this helps...

Kate

When ordering clicker dies, how do you provide the maker with the shape/specs you need? Do they need a rather detailed drawing/sketch?

Do the die makers have an inventory of standard dies for common pieces such as spur straps, latigo/cinch holders, etc?

What might be a price range for something like spur strap dies?

What type of maintenance do the dies require as far as sharpening?

Are the dies cut from solid tool steel or formed from strip steel?

Smokin P,

As Kate said, some die makers go off an electronically transmitted image with no problems. I have bought dies and referred people to Texas Custom Dies. Everyone has been happy. Some die makers will only accept a shape for the die in the form of a stiff cardboard piece, and build the die to that exactly.

I have also bought off-the-rack dies for spur straps, latigo carriers, and cinch carriers from Big Sky Tool and Die. They have worked out well for me also. Big Sky has a lot of different standard shapes for breast collars, chap yokes and shields, spur straps, headstalls, etc. My catalog is not current, but spur straps dies a couple years ago were from $70-100 for the strap and buckle piece as a set. Some sell a 2 piece set, and you turn the leather over for the correponding right and left on the strap side. Some have a 3 piece set with a dedicated right and left. The latigo and cinch carriers were $35 each.

For pricing on custom dies everyone is a bit different. Some price by the inch of rule. I had one quote that was less per inch, but then had a fee for each bend. There are additional charges for hole punchers, slot punchers, etc within the die. One thing a die maker told me was to specify how thick the leather is you are cutting. It makes a difference high up some makers weld the cross bracing. Most leather dies are made from 1-1/4" rule, but there are some shorter ones out there.

I just purchased some dies from Weaver. I sent a PDF drawing then follwed up with a true piece cut from leather. Their work and follow up was great (talked to Steve, great guy) But I think they were a little pricey!. Two dies came to almost $650.00 I've seen the name Texas Custom Dies a couple times now and are going to try them next.

I just purchased some dies from Weaver. I sent a PDF drawing then follwed up with a true piece cut from leather. Their work and follow up was great (talked to Steve, great guy) But I think they were a little pricey!. Two dies came to almost $650.00 I've seen the name Texas Custom Dies a couple times now and are going to try them next.

Yep that does sound a bit pricey I've been researching die prices myself and I've been quoted about $200 for the two dies I'm interested in getting and being in Australia we usually pay more than what you guys do in the US, that price also includes postage from one side of the country to the other. The dies I'm after aren't that small either, if your dies have a complex shape or internal holes that may explain the higher price as you do pay more for that sort of thing.

Edited by cem