jwwright

Seat Rigged Bluestem Will James

post-5250-082251700 1329431967_thumb.jpgpost-5250-068693000 1329431955_thumb.jpg

I don't recall seeing very many seat rigged saddles posted here over the years, so I though I'd post this one I recently finished. This rough out I built on a tree with what I call Bluestem Will James swell shape. The cantle is 3" , and the duckbill horn is 2 1/2" high with a 3 1/2" cap.

Thank You, JW

There is "punchy" and then there is "PUNCHY". Then there's a level just above that reserved for stuff like this. This saddle is PUNCHY!!!!

I second Bruce on that!

That's a fine looking rig JW. It'd make Bob Marrs proud.

Thanks for showing it.

CW

Jim your saddles always project a usin' attitude. This saddle is no exception. Nicely done!

Bob

Hey JW!

Cool !!!!!!!

First question: Was that rig challenging to build?

Second question: Do you get to try your work out--or is this one headed for sagebrush and the prairie.

As always--look forward to a post from the Mad Cow. Billy

As always JW you make a very nice saddle. There's not much to not like about a rough out saddle. You got some style boy!

Ok, I'll be the first to ask,,,

I could guess, and assume, and I could pretend I know, but I'd rather know for sure.

What the heck does 'punchy' mean?? :blush:

Joel

As always JW you make a very nice saddle. There's not much to not like about a rough out saddle. You got some style boy!

Ok, I'll be the first to ask,,,

I could guess, and assume, and I could pretend I know, but I'd rather know for sure.

What the heck does 'punchy' mean?? :blush:

Joel

Joel,

In my vernacular it means "cowboy cool". Kind of derivation of cowpuncher that has taken on a meaning if its own. Most of the time I hear it from the KS. OK, and west TX area. I had a guy email about some spur straps a few days ago, The email was "pull through leathers, barbwire and brown iron buckles, and stamp them kind of punchy" . I did a Bible cover last fall and asked what pattern she wanted on it. She said " no flowers, but punch it up some. It's for my husband".

Thanks to all for punchy praise. PUNCHY is as PUNCHY does. post-5250-057319200 1329516734_thumb.jpg

CWR......that's high praise, Thank You. JW

Billy, the seat rigs are a little different to build. Took a little more time than usual, mainly because of the fact that most of what I make are plate rigs, so it was different. Kinda like the first few skirt rigs I built.....after the first couple they went as quick as a plate rig or D rig. No sir I won't ride it.... this one is on it's way to the customer who ordered it. Thank You, JW

B Milla......This is on a Sonny Felkins tree, as most of mine are. The Lewis tree I built on last Fall, and has been delivered to the customer for a couple of months now. I'll see if I can attach a photo of it here on this reply. Thank You, JW

10-4 JW, they both look good, i think i like the Will James more each time i see one. Bruce is point-on with the punchy comment. Its about the punchiest.

B Milla..........Thank You, sir. I really liked that Lewis tree, and especially that swell shape. Wish I could get it 14" wide as well. I d intend too use more . Thanks, JW

Well I kinda figured it was headed for some dust. I was hoping that you where going to ride it some so I could ask what a seat rig is like to ride.I have only seen pictures of them.

Are you all getting any moisture for your fields this year? regards Billy

Bruce

Thanks for adding to the education and vocabulary of this ol' SOCAL boy.

So JW, from my new vocab I say, yep that is one PUNCHY saddle!

I was wondering, what is the thigh 'pinch factor' to a saddle rigged like that?

Joel

Billy........I've had a seat rig before, and I couldn't tell much difference between it and a plate rig, and at least the way I build them, there is the same amount of leather under your leg either way. We've had a couple nice rains this winter, b ut we are certainly not out of the drought yet.......hoping for the best come spring time. Thank You. JW

Joel........they don't pinch. Thank You, JW

Thanks JW--------- I figure questions sometimes take away the assumption factor.

Hope you have a good Spring. Billy

Billy.......Thank You.

Bradley........yes sir, I talked with Kevin yesterday, and I'm going to get a couple 14" wide. Back when I ordered the one in the photo, it was available only 13. Thanks, JW

JW

That's a FINE saddle!!

Congrats!

1st time i see one of that kind!!!

i am really curious about how you can blend the flate plates rigging with the seat!

Would you mind to explain a bit the process (here or on MP)

Not that i plan to try it soon ...but maybe , 1 day i will be "tough" enough to try...

Again : that's a damn fine job!!

I wish , i day i will be as good as you guys!

Aurelie.....Thank You.

The seat rig is shaped very much like a plate rigging, except that it is part of the seat jockey. The seat rigging / jockey is lined with skirting leather, as you would do with a plate rigging. The lining is from the front of the seat back to the cantle ear. It goes up and around the swells, around the back of the swells up to the handhole. The lining pieces from each side meet and over lap one another a little at the hand hole. Hope that answers your question. JW

Aurelie.....Thank You.

The seat rig is shaped very much like a plate rigging, except that it is part of the seat jockey. The seat rigging / jockey is lined with skirting leather, as you would do with a plate rigging. The lining is from the front of the seat back to the cantle ear. It goes up and around the swells, around the back of the swells up to the handhole. The lining pieces from each side meet and over lap one another a little at the hand hole. Hope that answers your question. JW

Thanks a lot for the explanation JW

I kind of see more precisely how you build that!

:-)

for now, i ve got enough "new things" to try on saddles but sure i will try this one day ...and then i guess i will ask you more ;)

again : really neat job!

1 more question :

what is the purpose of a "rigged seat"?

I mean i know the purpose of a flate plate saddle vs a inskirt one , technically speaking

but building a rigged seat is it just for "good looking"? or has it a specific technical purpose?

and another question :

how, who could have the idea to build something like that??

I know...it's a lot of questions.....

but i like to know the hows and whys , pros and cons of everything

;)