The type you hang from a mirror

post-39369-0-03698500-1372306659_thumb.j

Is there something you can place next to it to aid in getting a sense of the scale? Perhaps a soda can.

It does look small, though. Is the pommel a custom cast of some kind and how hard was it to find appropriately scaled hardware?

A customer brought this small tree in and asked me to make a saddle on it. I used smalls dees I had in the bin and I made the stirrups

post-39369-0-12777700-1372339751_thumb.j

The hard part was getting the rawhide cover to stay in place while it dried. The conchos are just brass tacks pushed into place. Needless to say there wasn't much wood to anchor to. For my part I thought it was kind of a shabby job with what i had to work with, but he liked it. I'll try to get a picture of a 1/2 scale saddle that I made put up.

I've always wanted to build a saddle, but just can't justify the real thing. One of these days I'm going to build a miniature saddle. Thanks for sharing this.

Bob

Ok, now that quarter really helps!

It seems small enough that you might be able to cinch it up on a can of beer.

Nice work and how did you get the rawhide to stay put? I was kinda wondering about that when I saw the first image among other stages where normal practice for saddle making gets tossed right out the window.

Long tiny nails that went all the was thru the other side of the wood. After it dried I clipped them off.

Aren't they fun! I build miniature Saddles too. For anyone in the future reading in here that might want to try making a miniature Saddle, you can get a kit from Rio Rondo Enterprises. Be sure and order the Traditional size Saddle kit. Everything is in the kit to make a Saddle, including lacing for a Bridle and all the hardware you need too. Plus an instruction book. Last I knew the kit is $24 or $25.00. You can also check out my Gallery in here to see what they look like.