Invasion

Bridal Leather For Dog Collars ?

I want to make some really high quality dog collars that are durable and improve with age. I was thinking bridal leather would be just the ticket.

I was wondering what you guys thought on this?

I also have a few questions:

Can I still use a makers punch on Bridal leather and will it take any tooling at all ?

What do I need to do to finish once item is made; creams etc ?

I have noticed with veg tan it wrinkles easily making it look horrible does bridal leather have same traits ?

If it is pre finished the colour you want what happens when you bevel the edges does it look untreated or does the dye they use penetrate deep enough ?

Sorry if these are silly questions ;)

Thanks

Bridle leather is fine to use. You can use a maker's mark but you'll have to find a way to make the best impression. Depending on the leather you may get away with hitting with a maul while on other leather you may need to use a vice or press. You shouldn't get wrinkling with bridle leather as long as you're careful at the bend round the buckle at the chape. The edges will look raw as the dye does not usually penetrate through the leather. You'll need to finish them with either a dye, for a contrasting or matching look, or a plain finish like beeswax and a lot of burnishing. Hope that helps. Gary

A little bit late with reply, but you can threat English bridle leather as any other vegetable tanned leather, but it's softer than tooling leather. Old Egnlish bridle (very expensive), European English bridle and W&C Show harness are firmer. Any of them stamps well, for small stamp with handle using the maul is enough, for large stamps - as Tandy 3D stamps or large maker's stamp - some kind of press for applying higher pressure will be needed.

Usual finishes used for vegtan leather will work, and they will look glossier than on tooling leather. To improve with age, I believe that oil- or wax-based finishes should be used, but water- and rub-out resistance are lower than for clear finisheas like Resolene. You may search for waterpoofing dog collars threads. Applying as a finish shoe polish only (as for bags from this leather) doesn't protect leather enough for this use.

Edited by goldenstonebazaar

I have made latigo leather and bridle leather dog collars. Both have oils and waxes to help them resist the elements.

There are much more experienced folk who will chime in on this

The attached picture, which I think I may have posted before, is a collar made with bridle which may answer all of your questions.

Makers punch? You can see the punched lettering on the tag so I would say yes.

Finish? I used a leather wax composed of jojoba oil, beeswax and canuba wax.

Wrinkles? I would say that's dependent on the bridle leather your using. this pink stuff is stiffer and wrinkles more than latigo.

Dye the edges? If you want the edges to match the leather than I would say yes. You can see the edges on this collar are much lighter, I don't dye my edges as that's just my preference.

The problems I've had with unusually dyed bridle is that there's sometimes a thick top coat that doesn't take to finishing very well. This pink bridle isn't bad in that sense but I've got some red and green bridle where the edges don't finish well at all.

Good luck, and please post your collar.

post-19825-0-41486900-1374103872_thumb.j

That is a nice collar! Great stitching work

No dog collar will be permanent, especially if they are swimmers,scratchers and dirt rollers like my

pup.

A dog collar is not like a belt that gets taken care of and periodically worn.....collar is 24/7

Even the nylon collars wear out and get funky

The leather you are choosing will last longer than veg tan though.

Good bridle leather is perfect for dog collars, at least if the dog isnt tiny. These are both Sedgwick bridle butt and panel hide

Charlie

Red

blackredstitch1