cowdog128

Looking For A Good Saddle Making School

Howdy folks im interrested in getting into making saddles but in this part of the country there isnt anybody around to learn from so does anybody have any info on a good saddle making schools i can take a look at i want to get the most (bang for my buck) so any and all help/advice would be a great help. thanks a bunch everybody and happy trails

You might check out the website for the GREEN COUNTRY TECHNOLOGY CENTER located in Okmulgee, Oklahoma. They have a very good saddle and bootmaking course. I think they can be taken separately or in conjunction with each other.

Hi!

You can try calling Jack Jones, J & J Saddle Co, in Nebraska.. (308)665-1633

Jack is a great saddlemaker, famous in his younger days.. :) Made saddles for the White House, has some work at the Smithsonian etc.. Has had shops in Texas, the midwest and further east..

He knows how to make a saddle that fits both the horse and the cowboy..

I was lucky to stop by his small shop two years ago. Somehow I talked him into teaching me his way of making saddles..

I know he takes on students now and then, give him a call and try..

Rik

cowdog,

I've moved your post into the Saddle Trade Resources forum. There are a lot of good ideas in the threads in here that may help you - DVDs and books as well as ideas on people to learn from. Here is a recent thread with the same question that good a few good responses: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29179 All the best in reaching your goal of making saddles. There are lots of people on here that are living proof that it can be done!