ABC3

Another holster question

Another holster question: Do you bevel both edges when making a holster? I know you bevel the slick side but do you also bevel the flesh side? The flesh side is alot harder to bevel and it does not burnish well. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hey Tom!

I assume you're talking about a single thickness, unlined holster? Yes, I bevel both sides and a REALLY sharp edger is a great help. If you slightly dampen the edge with a damp (not dripping) sponge and then rub a little bee's wax on the edge and rub with an old piece of denim from blue jeans or a hunk of canvas until you can feel the heat with the fingers you're holding the rag with, I think you'll be happy with the results. A wooden slicker, deer antler, or something really smooth will also burnish the edge further.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Another holster question: Do you bevel both edges when making a holster? I know you bevel the slick side but do you also bevel the flesh side? The flesh side is alot harder to bevel and it does not burnish well. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for any and all help.

Yes, bevel both edges but not where leather meets leather. Whether a pancake or a clamshell, where the leather is glued/stitched together, you'll want as close to a square edge as possible. If it's bevelled at that meeting piont, you'll have a devil of a time getting it to burnish down to a nice edge; there'll always be a line down the center of the join.

Mike thanks for your help.

TwinOaks, I was hoping that's what you would say. That center line your talking about appears on several of my holsters and it just didn't make sense to me.

Have a great week end and again thanks guys.