niterdr

Another Canuck In Your Midst

New to the board but not a newb to leather. As a tween I learned that my skin does not agree with "Base Metal" in watch cases. The only way for me to wear a watch was to have a strap behind the case, that started my long history of working (Dabbling) with leather. That was during the 70's when leather was a fashion statement especially hand tooled! In 1976 I spent some time in the West Coast where I met and spent time with some leatherworkers who made Belts, Jackets, Pants and sandals with tire tread soles even!! They had a store called "Mom's homemade happiness and the Banana Bros." Guess the name kinda says it all. I did learn from my time with them though.

This along with the fact that I hate Vinyl and how easily it wears out, Love working with my hands love the beauty of leather,

Makes me who I am today "An Old fart with contact cement fingers and calloused hands". During all the years working with leather I never did learn how to Carve leather so that is my new goal!

Hope to be able to learn and share ideas with Y'all.

Almost forgot, Spent most of my life as a Cabinet/Pattern Maker, If anyone needs info on that topic I would be glad to help there too.

Alex

Niagara Area

Canada

Welcome, glad to have you.

Welcome Alex ... Just wondering if you are aware of the CSCL (Canadian Society of Creative Leatherworkers) annual meeting in Stoney Creek on the weekend?

Actually I was not aware of the CSCL annual meeting, I may just look up the info and drive there.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums!!

Alex

Hello niterdr (and list). Did a google search for "Mom's homemade happiness and banana brothers" to see if I could find any old pictures of our Gastown shop in Vancouver. Never found the picture, but, your posting made us immortal, we're talking over 40 years ago. I wasn't one of the originals, but, was invited into the clan in '71. Original "mom's homemade happiness" was a group of leather smiths comprised of Roger (the artful dodger), Stan (Kuba), Ricky (Ranger). The banana brothers were Marshall and Russell. The had a jewelry section in the front of the store.

The folks found me doing travelling fairs as a leather smith. They invited me into the clan and it was a few great years of learning and sharing. I was known as black rick, as Ranger Rick was already there, blond headed, so my black hair and beard differentiated me.

Have had a few other vocations since then, from tree planter, to carpenter, to systems programmer/tech support for IBM. But, leather is forever part of my life and in my heart. Keep thinking I'll play a bit again during retirement, but, keepin too busy. I was best known for my braiding, some intricate patterns in my day.

Thanks again for making us immortal

My bad, forgot one more member. Though he really didn't do leather work until the later days, Bob (Buffalo) was the resident entity. Okay, there was also Snake, the resident cat.

Now, that should be complete. Apologies to Buffalo, for the late mention, but....